4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this thing back together.

Attachments

·
Registered
977 Posts
I just got this thing back together.
Is it oil? Mine did the same thing after replacing the clutch from around the same area - turned out to be the coolant overflow tank - I think I either over-filled when replacing coolant or had a loose cap....

Reactions: Patric

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
I am rather new here, and therefore consider everyone else much more knowledgeable than me when it comes to these bikes. That disclaimer aside, do these bikes not have a small moisture weep hole at the bottom of their exhaust? Is that merely moisture that results when an engine (any engine) is first started & warming up? I'm old, so I think I'm gonna go out with my trusty mechanic's mirror & examine the underside of my RT's exhaust.

·
Registered
598 Posts
It looks too clear to be oil. I'm guessing condensation or coolant, although shouldn't coolant have a green tinge.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It looks like condensation and not coolant but she has never marked her territory in the middle of the exhaust before. That always was spat out the back along with carbon deposits making little black rings on the concrete so I don't know what this is or where it is coming from. I am not aware of any holes in the exhaust for this to egress at that point plus no carbon along with it so some investigation is required. I may take a few drops of coolant out of the tank and drop it on the floor just as a comparison. It should have a green tinge to it or a smell and it didn't. So, is there a crack or hole in my exhaust that shouldn't be there? :frown:

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
It looks like condensation and not coolant but she has never marked her territory in the middle of the exhaust before. That always was spat out the back along with carbon deposits making little black rings on the concrete so I don't know what this is or where it is coming from. I am not aware of any holes in the exhaust for this to egress at that point plus no carbon along with it so some investigation is required. I may take a few drops of coolant out of the tank and drop it on the floor just as a comparison. It should have a green tinge to it or a smell and it didn't. So, is there a crack or hole in my exhaust that shouldn't be there? :frown:
You are right ol' Beemer Breath (term of endearment)...there is no weep hole. However, out of curiosity, I went out to the man cave, cranked my bike, and laid down beside it to observe. Sure 'nuff...right at the clamps for the exhaust flow control valve, a small amount of moisture came flowing forth. Not a lot, and as the engine warmed up, the drop that had accumulated withered and evaporated before falling to the ground. Like you I had seen a drop or two during warm up on colder days, but on warmer days, it could be that the moisture evaporates before dropping off.

The clamps take a T-45 Torx. I was able to tighten one, but the other was so tight, I was afraid to risk over tightening and breaking it. Besides, the amount of exhaust leak is so minimal, I am not concerned on such an open vehicle like a motorcycle.
(Had to come back & edit because I finally realized I am referencing an R, and the original poster is referencing a K bike. I'm trying to learn how to negotiate this forum. You folks will have to let me know if the issue could apply to both types of motorcycles.)

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
You are right ol' Beemer Breath (term of endearment)...there is no weep hole. However, out of curiosity, I went out to the man cave, cranked my bike, and laid down beside it to observe. Sure 'nuff...right at the clamps for the exhaust flow control valve, a small amount of moisture came flowing forth. Not a lot, and as the engine warmed up, the drop that had accumulated withered and evaporated before falling to the ground. Like you I had seen a drop or two during warm up on colder days, but on warmer days, it could be that the moisture evaporates before dropping off.

The clamps take a T-45 Torx. I was able to tighten one, but the other was so tight, I was afraid to risk over tightening and breaking it. Besides, the amount of exhaust leak is so minimal, I am not concerned on such an open vehicle like a motorcycle.
(Had to come back & edit because I finally realized I am referencing an R, and the original poster is referencing a K bike. I'm trying to learn how to negotiate this forum. You folks will have to let me know if the issue could apply to both types of motorcycles.)

No clamps on the LT exhaust but this pic tells the story. I have developed a leak. Will need to weld that up. Not sure I have any wire for my mig that is suitable but I have a tiny Oxy Map that might do the trick before it cracks up the weld.

EDIT: Looks like I own nothing suitable to do the weld myself. Oxy/MAPP is not recommended and my wire welder is also not good. Will have to consider taking it somewhere at some point.

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,247 Posts
Just fix it next time you have to remove the exhaust, it is not likely to get worse.

Reactions: katnapinn

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just fix it next time you have to remove the exhaust, it is not likely to get worse.
I think that is my plan now that I know it isn't antifreeze. I will just keep an eye on it as that is the place that has cracked on others. Oh the joys of owning an LT ;)

Reactions: Voyager

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
No clamps on the LT exhaust but this pic tells the story. I have developed a leak. Will need to weld that up. Not sure I have any wire for my mig that is suitable but I have a tiny Oxy Map that might do the trick before it cracks up the weld.

EDIT: Looks like I own nothing suitable to do the weld myself. Oxy/MAPP is not recommended and my wire welder is also not good. Will have to consider taking it somewhere at some point.
Clean the area off with a wire brush and put some JB Weld on it.
Also check with Beamer BoneYard for a used exhaust.

·
Registered
233 Posts
It looks like condensation and not coolant but she has never marked her territory in the middle of the exhaust before. That always was spat out the back along with carbon deposits making little black rings on the concrete so I don't know what this is or where it is coming from.
Ain't that the truth with the right angle blow hole!

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Clean the area off with a wire brush and put some JB Weld on it.
Also check with Beamer BoneYard for a used exhaust.
Got some new J&B and will go ahead and patch it for now. Many on Ebay to choose from for under $100 plus shipping. I see the part numbers are different on Max between the 99-04 and the 05-09. Was hoping to pick up one off a newer modle but there is some difference between them. Not sure if it will bolt up with all the mount points or not.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts