BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Damaged Rim

4K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  johnnyjo 
#1 ·
Thoughts and opinions on this gentleman, I hit a pot hole here in dallas area and here are the results, did not lose air and rode fine. I dropped bike off last week to Dealer in Fort Worth and new rim has to come from overseas is what I am being told, I was first told there was three in the states last thursday now told something different. I was scheduled to go on a ride next week and wanted to know thoughts on riding bike like this? I am trying not explode on dealer but this is the first BMW I have owned and love it BUT, I have always ridden a Harley for pleasure and have ridden one at work for 20 years and counting, but have never had to wait on parts for months and honest never had this happen to one of my rims before in 32 years, I am trying to smile but hard. Picture attached.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
A friend of mine hit a rock and crack his last year while we were on a 450 mile day ride. He found a guy who repaired rims and had it fixed. It took about two months but you absolutely could not tell it had been repaired.

If you like, I will find out who did the repair and get you their info.

Bob

#12 ·
Yup - I wouldn't ride on it, and I was also gonna recommend mcwheel. Typically 1 week turn-around time.

#15 ·
I don't think you will have a problem riding with that wheel. I rode several years with one about that bad with no problems.

I would look for one on ebay though. Anything from 2002 on will work.

You are welcome to borrow one of my spares while you send yours out for fixing
or get another one. Come on down and we can change the tire and wheel out.

Dan Martin
Houston, Tx

#16 ·
I had a rim badly bent, thanks to the City of Angels for patching potholes (NOT!).

I took it to a reputable place but as the rime was badly hit (much worse than the OP's). They normally would have fixed it but alas it was also warped and could not be fixed.

I found a used one and replaced it. BTW the tire was still good, but at the time of the accident all the air got out and I had to flatbed the bike home.

#18 ·
I've had at least two rims with worse dents than what your showing....that were straightened by quality shops.......and performed well for thousands of miles. Like others have said.....I'd be wary of riding as is....but once repaired....should do fine.

JD

#20 ·
I dented two rims a few years ago. Both showed damage to the lip of the rim like yours and neither lost air. As I was a long distance from home, I continued riding on the rims. My rear rim, did just fine, no issues. My front rim had more damage though than could be seen, the major hit was actually on the base part of the rim, not just the lip area. So after several hundred miles, my wheel started to loose its roundness, felt like I had an oblong whee. Made it home though, stripped both rims down and sent them off to frame straight. A week later and less than the cost of one new rim I had them both back good as new.

#21 ·
Good grief I've taken some bad hits with mine your's makes me wonder about internal injuries or the loss of your teeth. Could have been a lot worse

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.