BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bike I had a deposit on fell through. So I had to start looking again. I saw this bike in Plano and, before I drive 4 hours one-way to go look at it, I'm asking for the collective wisdom of the board on this bike for two things. First, good deal/fair deal/bad deal?

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2005-Bmw-K-1200-Lt-101470542

The owner said it has fallen over and so has damage on the engine guards, and has "one channel out" on the radio. I don't really know what that means.

Second, I don't need anything other than a stock bike (although I prefer certain options) but I definitely want to be able to talk to passenger while riding.I read that a comm system wiring harness is optional on 2005 model so that makes me think that I need (1) the harness and (2) the comm system itself. Is that correct? Also, if it has neither, how much (roughly) is it going to cost me to get that set up?

Thanks again for your input - I've only owned 2 bikes and neither have any electronic equipment other than what controls the engine.

Chris

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Chris, I wouldn't worry about the comm system..
Way too many bluetooth systems available today ... You'll spend half as much and it'll work better...

I think 9K might be a little steep....Maybe $7500 sounds a little better...

Sounds like it's got everything else...

John

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I gave $8K for mine with no damage and 15K miles.

·
Registered
335 Posts
It may be a fair deal as is, but if the asking price is $9K I would expect to negotiate for less - perhaps $8K and no more than $8.5. It just depends on which one of you is the best horse trader. You're both Texans, so it may be a good contest.

Probably 99% of all LT's have been laid over on their crash bars so I wouldn't worry too much about scuff marks there if that is all the damage it has.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
cwarren said:
The owner said it has fallen over and so has damage on the engine guards, and has "one channel out" on the radio. I don't really know what that means.
The one channel out could be bad connection, or $400.00 repair. The add mentions dealer records. Ask for a copy or talk to the dealer to get an idea on repairs done.
$9000.00 is high, go to Kelley Blue Book for prices in your area.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Plano city limits are only a few miles from here. Happy to look at it, take a bunch of photos, and listen to it before you spend the time and money to come up this way.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I am an RT guy so I can't speak first hand on the LT. But our Fort Worth BMW dealer has a 2005 LT with 42k miles and their price is 10900. If the bike was serviced by the local BMW dealer in Plano should be easy enough to check the records with them. The service manager, Marin, is a good guy as is the sales manager Elvis. If you had a Vin I could check it out with them.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,420 Posts
Looked at the ad and the photo does not match the description. That is not the euro shield and those are not the adjustable passenger foot boards. Makes me wonder about the rest. Have Tony check it out for you.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again for all your reponses! I was never super hot on the champagne color and have cooled off even more. Tony offered to take a look at bikes in the Dallas area and I will take him up on that if I see something I like.

I really appreciate your help and quick feedback!

Chris

·
Registered
63 Posts
The thing with the radio channel being out means that the radio has bit the dust. This is a common problem. Seems the Jensen marine radio is a good replacement. That is what I replaced mine with. I agree with the others 8K out to be the number to shoot for. be sure the brakes have been flushed at least every two years (proof needed) and there is no visible oil around the final drive. Remeber this....The K1200 is going to feel really weird at slow speeds but you get used to it. When you get her moving it is the best ride out there. Good luck.

cwarren said:
The bike I had a deposit on fell through. So I had to start looking again. I saw this bike in Plano and, before I drive 4 hours one-way to go look at it, I'm asking for the collective wisdom of the board on this bike for two things. First, good deal/fair deal/bad deal?

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2005-Bmw-K-1200-Lt-101470542

Second, I don't need anything other than a stock bike (although I prefer certain options) but I definitely want to be able to talk to passenger while riding.I read that a comm system wiring harness is optional on 2005 model so that makes me think that I need (1) the harness and (2) the comm system itself. Is that correct? Also, if it has neither, how much (roughly) is it going to cost me to get that set up?

Thanks again for your input - I've only owned 2 bikes and neither have any electronic equipment other than what controls the engine.

Chris

·
Registered
216 Posts
The $9k price seems a tad high. I paid $9,300 for a 2005 with 8,500 miles 2 years ago. The bike was extremely clean and just needed new tires (although I did just do clutch job for it last month).

I would suggest looking on craigslist.com and ebay to see what your options are. Personally, I would wait until a better deal comes a long from a private buyer -- just my .02.

G

1 - 11 of 11 Posts