BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering how many LT owners have just the LT for transportation? For me all i have is the LT. My wife has a car of course but i rarely drive it. I am now commuting 12 whole miles each way to and from work.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,594 Posts
While I was working and lived in Northern Virginia, I rode the LT every day, with the exception of ice or snow on the road. My travel was approximately 15 miles of running the HOV lanes. My ride took approximately 20 minutes, where public transportation (Metro & Fairfax Connector bus) took a little over a hour. Taking a cage would be even longer.
One good thing on where I worked, I parked my bike in the garage. If weather turned for the worst, I could leave the bike at work and take public transportation home, then again the next morning. It worked out well.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I am wondering how many LT owners have just the LT for transportation? For me all i have is the LT. My wife has a car of course but i rarely drive it. I am now commuting 12 whole miles each way to and from work.
Did you read about another member here (ZEKE) that did 300,000 miles on his K1200LT?
I do not how much of a daily rider he is right now, but I suspect he did a lot in the past to reach such a milestone:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/123762-another-100k.html

ZEKE is not the only one here with a lot miles using his K1200LT often as main transportation. I am sure many others will chime in ;-)

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm good til the temps get in the high 30's then its back to the cage that doesn't get much use except taking the dogs to the woods. Work, stores, friends house and just about everything in between I use the LT.
I wonder how many early cowboys said no to the horse and buggy and rode their horse?

·
IBR# 366
16,545 Posts
I haven't owned a car in close to 30 years.

Had a lot of different bikes over that time, including a '99 LT that did 30,000 miles around the UK & Europe, and an '02 LT that did 110,000 all over North America.

Have since moved on to the K12/13GT and then the K16GTL, but still remember the LT's fondly. And still haven't seen the need to buy a car. :bike:

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah but you are an animal Ken! Ihave seen some pictures of the way you have loaded up your bikes. :surprise:

·
IBR# 366
16,545 Posts
When a bike is all you have then you learn to make do . . . :D

There's a reason the LT was affectionately known as the Light Truck. :bmw:

·
Registered
231 Posts
On top of that, it is probably the best protected bike against wind, cold and rain.
I live in So. Cal, so I don't have to deal with freezing temps, just occasional rain. I drive it almost every day, with a few exceptions - love every single mile on it.
BJ

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
I ride mine 100 miles roundtrip a day to work except rain days. These crazy California drivers don't slow down in the rain. I have 240 K on my 02[only have replaced FD and broken exhaust] Jim

·
Registered
242 Posts
Before I took a job that has me fly to work, I used to ride mine daily. I put 14,000 a year on it. I rode unless it snowed or was icy.
The LT works great for daily riding, plenty of storage and great protection.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Until my company decided to offer me a car so I can do more work for the same amount of money, my 2002 LT was my daily commuter for 10+ years.

70+ miles a day round trip rain or shine - got the old girl up to 130k before the clutch decided to start acting up and now the LT's up on the rack awaiting tear-down.

Soon.... :grin:

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ride mine 100 miles roundtrip a day to work except rain days. These crazy California drivers don't slow down in the rain. I have 240 K on my 02[only have replaced FD and broken exhaust] Jim
NICE!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Taking the train off the tracks here....you riding a Skyski, Foiltech or ??? I was on a Foiltech before multiple back surgeries and had to give it up. Still miss catching air. Lot's of contacts up here in the NW that still ride.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Unless it is pouring rain when I leave in the morning, then I ride every day. During the school year, I take my daughter to school, which is a 20-minute ride, then another 30 minute ride beyond the school to work. If I am just going straight to work, that is a 30-minute ride. Almost all of these trips are open road. Church on Sunday is a 40 minute ride, mostly highway. My biggest issue is just tires. Cold weather has never bothered me on this big, comfy beast. It never really gets cold enough here in NE Florida to keep her locked away.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Taking the train off the tracks here....you riding a Skyski, Foiltech or ??? I was on a Foiltech before multiple back surgeries and had to give it up. Still miss catching air. Lot's of contacts up here in the NW that still ride.
Actually that is a V-38 Airchair. yeah my back is what limits my riding time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts