BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He hated every bike I bought. Along came his new German girlfriend Helga who wanted to ride the BMW. She has very fond memories or riding in her Dad's side car in Germany before WWII. They were too poor to own a car. Helga, at 80 jumped on and off we went. Dad decided he had to go since Helga did. At 83 years of age he got his first motorcycle ride. We had his Memorial Celebration last week in FL and the party got a bit loud as more and more family arrived. Cops came to quiet us down (see attachment). Dad would have been proud! Here he is getting ready to go for that first ride on my 2002 LT. His great grand daughter is on the bike with me. Helga is fixing her hair after she pulled of the helmet...;)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I'm very sorry - it's never easy losing a parent. Sounds like your dad enjoyed every moment. My dad died at 64 from cancer (he'd be 85 now) and he enjoyed life, too, but, he only had a chance to hate 2 of my bikes....

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dad

Ted,

Thanks. Yes, Dad was a great guy. Got his Silver Star on the D-Day invasion and spent four years in Europe fighting the Germans.

I've visited Camarillo several times calling on Wilwood, the race and high performance brake company. Nice town and great location.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Rob,

I am saddened to hear of your dad's recent passing. From your brief description, and from the group photo of folks at his memorial, I'd say that he was a man who loved life and imparted that gift unto you. I am certain that you will treasure that gift and share it with as many as you can during our brief time here.

May he rest in peace.

Respectfully,
Tony

·
Registered
688 Posts
Condolences

Rob,
You have some great memories. Hang on to them in the times when you miss him. In that way he will never be gone. Our prayers and thoughts are with you.

Rich Lodge
Ultra LT

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dad

Raffy, Rich, and Tony,

Thanks for the words. Even though Dad didn't get my riding lust in his DNA, he was an amazing Dad in all ways. Sue and I sent him and Mom to Europe for their 50th so they could retrace his steps from Oxford where he was trained in communications to Paris. They had a ball. When I hear folks bitch about being in Iraq for a while today I think about Dad's generation.....four years in Europe fighting the NAZI boys.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Rob

I had to "wipe my eyes" before I could start typing, sorry for your loss.

Your love for Dad has been expressed well,
you "honor" him just by talking about him.

I went to see my Mom & Dad yesterday they're 84/83 respectively,
they've "aged" a lot in the last year.

Dad put the riding bug in me by taking me for rides into Germany
when I was still small enough to sit "on the tank"

I'm glad you got to "ride" with your Dad also.

Thanks for sharing your feelings with us, it helps us to remember "what matters"

I think I'll call Mom & Dad now, just to tell them I love them.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Hi, Rob. My greatest condolences to you and yours. I lost my dad 11 years ago to cancer. He never rode a motorcycle to myknowledge and had no desire to do so. He thought we all were nuts. Like your dad, my dad was a combat veteran of WWII, but he never wanted to talk about it much. He would just put his head down and shake it and mutter about the incredible horror of what people could do. I miss him and the good times we had talking and hunting.

Sincerely, Karl

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dad

Hans und Carl,

Thanks for adding your comments.

I would call Dad from France, Germany, England and tell him I met a woman who wants to talk to him....;) First time I really got him. He wanted to know her name and what village I was in....:histerica I traveled Europe six weeks or so every year chasing racers at various tracks (Hockenheim, Nurburgring, Le Mans, Spa, Donnington, Sneeterton, Thruxton...) in my brake business. I opened an office in Munich and one in England, then one in Tokyo. Amazing that my Dad was fighting in Europe for 4 years then I am over there doing business and making hundreds of friends just a few years later. After Mom died (cancer/1996), I called Dad almost every day until he died 9/12/07. He also was shy about talking about WWII. He did tell me recently that you could find every human body part you wanted scattered along that beach. I wrote to and called every living member of his military unit to let them know that Dad passed........I know he appreciates it.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Rob -

My dad was a Marine in the South Pacific - saw action in Peleliu and the Philippines.

Let me know the next time you are coming out this way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts