BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I think I hold the record for putting my LT to sleep. While on a seven day trip with friends to the Gaspe' Penninsula. I dropped my bike four times in one day. Can anybody do better? No damage but very embarassed. Oh, and the previous day one time while in reverse.

·
Registered
338 Posts
That's one record that I think you will hold for years to come.

Are you new to motorcycle riding? You know when you come to a stop it's customary to extend your legs toward the earth and place your feet on the ground to maintain the bike in an upright position.

·
Registered
371 Posts
That's too awesome!

I'm saving this post for the next time I drop it.
As in "Oh come ON people! Why, there was this one dude who....yada-yada"
:bmw:

·
Registered
493 Posts
You beat me, I had three in one day.

However, it was my first day so my drops per mile were close to 1:2 :eek:. So there! :p

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
cealbrecht said:
........... it's customary to extend your legs toward the earth and place your feet on the ground to maintain the bike in an upright position.
I'm not so sure this statement is true. Isn't that what those fancy electric center stands are supposed to do for you?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
wa1200lt said:
I'm not so sure this statement is true. Isn't that what those fancy electric center stands are supposed to do for you?
Not at stop signs..... :)

·
Registered
929 Posts
Maybe it's just me but I don't see anyone fighting you for this record...so congrats O' king of the stop -n- flop.:wave

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
jvalny said:
Well I think I hold the record for putting my LT to sleep. While on a seven day trip with friends to the Gaspe' Penninsula. I dropped my bike four times in one day. Can anybody do better? No damage but very embarassed. Oh, and the previous day one time while in reverse.
Got me beat, my friend! :D I "only" popped her cherry twice on the way home (maiden ride) from the dealer. After picking up 850 pounds of top-heavy DD's--twice--I was cured!! :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,872 Posts
Hold off on the premature congrats. We have a member here in the South Central (no names mentioned in case he doesn't want to own up to it :D ) who bought the LT and went on a short trip. I believe he said he dropped her twelve times on the trip (not sure how many in one day, but is was several) and today he is riding a shinny red RT. I will leave it to him to come forward with the details. ;)

·
Registered
656 Posts
Truly King of da Flop

Lonewuff said:
Hold off on the premature congrats. We have a member here in the South Central (no names mentioned in case he doesn't want to own up to it :D ) who bought the LT and went on a short trip. I believe he said he dropped her twelve times on the trip (not sure how many in one day, but is was several) and today he is riding a shinny red RT. I will leave it to him to come forward with the details. ;)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Let me try and answer some of your questions.

1.Fatigue
2. I believe the bike was not loaded properly. Even though there is no top trunk
3. I was using an air hawk seat which raised the reach to the ground by about 1" 1/2.
4. My legs get weak after hours in the saddle(no not that saddle)
5. Driver inattention.

·
Registered
577 Posts
For me it is three times in less then an hour and a half. During a riding course last year. it took me that long and longer to learn the bike goes where you look. If you look down when you are doing close order turns around cones and such the bike will assume that is where you wand to go. finally learning the reality of that lesson I was able to avoid any ground encounters since. but my total is nine, with one with the SO on the back.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
jvalny said:
Let me try and answer some of your questions.

1.Fatigue
2. I believe the bike was not loaded properly. Even though there is no top trunk
3. I was using an air hawk seat which raised the reach to the ground by about 1" 1/2.
4. My legs get weak after hours in the saddle(no not that saddle)
5. Driver inattention.
You are absolutely the clear winner if you did it WITHOUT the top trunk! :clapping:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Any style points in this competition?

I only did three in one day, but it was with an S/O who I had thought would be not only my life partner but my riding partner as well in 2007.

Between drops #2 and #3, there was also the ride down a Colmbua River gorge in 70 mph oblique winds and then a cold rain ride over the I-90 pass into Seattle.

So she's still my S/O and will again, occasionally, get on the back of the bike but she's far more comfortable riding with the group on her Honda del Sol: she says it's only because it has more room for her curlers and her dryer and her outfits, but somehow, I wonder...

Larry Johnaon
2003 K1200LTC
1991 K75RT (as ov a week ago)

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
OK Jerry.
You were paying attention when I was talking about my Texas to Chicago to Deals gap trip.

It was me. I think I do hold the record for dropping the LT. Put 30,000 miles on it before I traded for the RT. Slow learner, took the advanced rider course (no drops at the course). I just never could master it.

Miss the center stand but love the RT.

·
Registered
929 Posts
EricSuz said:
OK Jerry.
You were paying attention when I was talking about my Texas to Chicago to Deals gap trip.

It was me. I think I do hold the record for dropping the LT. Put 30,000 miles on it before I traded for the RT. Slow learner, took the advanced rider course (no drops at the course). I just never could master it..
WE ARE NOT WORTHY! LONG LIVE THE KING!:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Eric, Yesterday I looked at a 2009 Triumph America. Under 500lbs, Seat height under 29". It is a very good looking motorcycle and is nicely balanced. I need to take it for a ride. and see how it feels. No ABS and no heated grips. I will be adding a windshield , saddlebags and rack and pad combo. I usually do two to four long trips a year, riding solo and I hope the bike will be reasonably quiet and comfortable.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
You will miss the cruse control and in the fall and spring and winter the heated seat and grips. Also the wind protection on your legs.

Take a good look at the RT.

Eric

1 - 19 of 19 Posts