BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

I'm slowly progressing towards the clutch replacement and I just removed the exhaust but I have a question. Should I clean the cylinder head exhaust ports or leave them alone? There quite some carbon deposits as you can see from the picture. If cleaning is recommended, how should it be done properly?

By the way, I'm glad I bought the HF lift. It's a back saver :). Worth every penny.

Thanks,

Eno

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
zuchero said:
Hi guys,

I'm slowly progressing towards the clutch replacement and I just removed the exhaust but I have a question. Should I clean the cylinder head exhaust ports or leave them alone? There quite some carbon deposits as you can see from the picture. If cleaning is recommended, how should it be done properly?

By the way, I'm glad I bought the HF lift. It's a back saver :). Worth every penny.

Thanks,

Eno
From my (long ago) experience as a motorcycle mechanic, I would suggest replacing the crush gaskets after scraping the port only where the gaskets seat. Use something softer than the aluminum port- an old toothbrush handle made into a scraper works well. Trying to remove the rest of the deposits risks valve problems with no real benefit, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
It will not make a bit of difference. You would be wasting time.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Replace crush gaskets .... leave the minimal carbon alone !!

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
murray said:
It will not make a bit of difference. You would be wasting time.
+ 1 Unless your consuming a fair amount of oil most of the light carbon burns off on a good ride anyway. If it didn't the port would get small fairly quick. It's also possible to do more harm than good.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
zuchero said:
Hi guys,

Thanks,

Eno
The best way to clean it is to run it a little harder once you get it back together. Those are very benign carbon deposits and not worth messing with. Just rev the fat lady a little more once you get your clutch fixed and get her back on the road.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
One thing to look at is the exhaust. When I replaced my exhaust with a Remus I noticed each port of the stocker was a different size because of the welding not carbon. If i ever put it back on I am going to clean up all the welding and make it look like the Remus.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Not enough carbon there to worry about. If you take the time to clean it, it will look about the same in a couple weeks. It looks very normal.

As Ron said, if you were to clean it, rotate the engine so that each exhaust valve is closed on the port you are about to clean! Do not want to knock that carbon into the cylinder through an open valve.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your suggestions. It's good to know that it's not as serious as I thought.

Thanks,

Eno

1 - 10 of 10 Posts