BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this article
http://www.cycleworld.com/motorcycle_roadtest/first_rides_articles/11q1/bmw_k1600gt_and_k1600gtl_-_first_ride

Very positive comments from the CW editor :bmw:
"I’ll go on record right now about the 1649cc inline-Six: It’s one of the greatest production motorcycle engines ever made. It is wickedly smooth and exceptionally linear in its power delivery. The sizzling sound it makes is off the charts, too, with a surprising and pleasing amount of intake and exhaust noise from both bikes. The 72.0 x 67.5mm engine revs to 8500, which is not astronomically high, but it still manages to sound like a Formula One car at redline. Or maybe it sounds better, especially if you are lucky enough to be sitting in the saddle. Angry bees amped on caffeine ripping apart a strip of velvet?" Mark Hoyer

Love the angry bees................can't wait :dance:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
Great article, they really seemed to like the bike.

My favorite quote was when the author was theorizing how the bike would compare to a Gold Wind:

How would it compare to a Honda Gold Wing? The GTL is a different animal, with much-higher dynamic capabilities. When I remarked about the differences between the softer, larger Gold Wing and the GTL, a BMW executive replied with a pleasant smile, “We wanted to build a shark, not a whale.”

"A shark, not a whale". What a great visual, and what a great way to sum up the design intent for these bikes! :bmw:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Raaze12 said:
Great article, they really seemed to like the bike.

My favorite quote was when the author was theorizing how the bike would compare to a Gold Wind:

How would it compare to a Honda Gold Wing? The GTL is a different animal, with much-higher dynamic capabilities. When I remarked about the differences between the softer, larger Gold Wing and the GTL, a BMW executive replied with a pleasant smile, “We wanted to build a shark, not a whale.”

"A shark, not a whale". What a great visual, and what a great way to sum up the design intent for these bikes! :bmw:
When I see your beached Shark flopping on the side of the road gasping, my Whale will be glad to stop and render assistance - maybe to spot you a bit of whale oil. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,985 Posts
"Both bikes are incredibly neutral and very light handling. There were corners where I applied significant braking force while leaned well over, howling the rear tire as ABS controlled the slip, and the cornering attitude did not change, despite the clear information the chassis was supplying regarding the fact that the tires were approaching the limits of adhesion".

The ABS controlled the slip ???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
buffgunner said:
When I see your beached Shark flopping on the side of the road gasping, my Whale will be glad to stop and render assistance - maybe to spot you a bit of whale oil. :)
LOL! :histerica
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
I think the BMW lists a "Harpoon" as an option for the Great White , er K1600.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
rodeking said:
I think the BMW lists a "Harpoon" as an option for the Great White , er K1600.
The white whale will slip up from the deep and soak your harpoon toting shark with a mighty blast from the blow hole.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
buffgunner said:
The white whale will slip up from the deep and soak your harpoon toting shark with a mighty blast from the blow hole.
My Harley Ultra Classic was White Gold Pearl, and I nicknamed her Moby Dick, the Great White Whale. Seemed appropriate for a number of reasons. But I will gladly accept your offer of assistance if you ever come upon me gasping for air on the side of the road!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Raaze12 said:
My Harley Ultra Classic was White Gold Pearl, and I nicknamed her Moby Dick, the Great White Whale. Seemed appropriate for a number of reasons. But I will gladly accept your offer of assistance if you ever come upon me gasping for air on the side of the road!
We can filter some tasty brew through our baleen. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,985 Posts
"In the inevitable comparison with the Honda, the GL does seem to have a bit of an advantage when revs are below around 2500 rpm, but the K16 likely out-thrusts the Wing everywhere else".

Doesn´t he mean GW ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,566 Posts
simoncharles said:
"In the inevitable comparison with the Honda, the GL does seem to have a bit of an advantage when revs are below around 2500 rpm, but the K16 likely out-thrusts the Wing everywhere else".

Doesn´t he mean GW ?
"GL" is another way to refer to a Wing, as it refers to its motor. The current Wing is the GL1800.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
simoncharles said:
"In the inevitable comparison with the Honda, the GL does seem to have a bit of an advantage when revs are below around 2500 rpm, but the K16 likely out-thrusts the Wing everywhere else".

Doesn´t he mean GW ?
Isn't the model for the Goldwing the 1800GL?
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top