BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my greatest pleasures this summer and fall is riding my bike to work and getting "lost" on the way home. I have to carry 30+ pounds of tools and the saddlebags just aren't designed to do it. I don't want to put on and take off the top case because I only use it for trips. Sometimes I leave the tools at work and then don't have what I need at home and vise versa!

I am looking for a way to mount a tool box safely and securely to my carrier without straps or scratches so I'm looking for a mounting plate I can attach and remove with a side lever instead going in from the top like we do with the top case. I have a nice tool case on wheels I could mount the plate to.

If anyone has a source for this type of thing please let me know. If you have built something for yourself, photos would be great!

I would love to even find a carrier to replace the rear seat because I most likely will never have a passenger ( my lovely wife has no interest at all in riding).

Jim
2016 BMW r1200RT WC

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
I think it's amazing that after all these years no has come up with a carrier rack or plate that attaches to the bike the same way the top case does. Easy way to do what you want, is to find a wrecked top box and cut it down to the base leaving enough material around the base for strap holes to secure your tool box.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it's amazing that after all these years no has come up with a carrier rack or plate that attaches to the bike the same way the top case does. Easy way to do what you want, is to find a wrecked top box and cut it down to the base leaving enough material around the base for strap holes to secure your tool box.
I thought about that. ....anyone have a busted top box?

·
Registered
1 Posts
One of my greatest pleasures this summer and fall is riding my bike to work and getting "lost" on the way home. I have to carry 30+ pounds of tools and the saddlebags just aren't designed to do it. I don't want to put on and take off the top case because I only use it for trips. Sometimes I leave the tools at work and then don't have what I need at home and vise versa!

I am looking for a way to mount a tool box safely and securely to my carrier without straps or scratches so I'm looking for a mounting plate I can attach and remove with a side lever instead going in from the top like we do with the top case. I have a nice tool case on wheels I could mount the plate to.

If anyone has a source for this type of thing please let me know. If you have built something for yourself, photos would be great!

I would love to even find a carrier to replace the rear seat because I most likely will never have a passenger ( my lovely wife has no interest at all in riding).

Jim
2016 BMW r1200RT WC
I ran across this the other day. Maybe it might work for your tool box.

2014-2018-bmw-r1200rt

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That looks like it would be perfect...did you purchase it or just out looking at farkels. It is a bit pricey and the convenience certainly looks enticing.....!

·
Registered
46 Posts
These are for the GS, but maybe they have one for the RT - might be worth asking. I have something like this on my Honda NC700x and it’s great if you ride solo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
521 Posts

·
IBR# 366
16,648 Posts
I picked up a small luggage plate that hooks into the standard BMW rack and attaches with two allen screws from the bottom.

It's well made, and was a lot cheaper than the other options shown here.

Let me see if I can find it in my garage.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I tried riding my RT once without the passenger seat on when I was going to buy a Bill Mayer saddle and figured it would be easier to only bungee the rider seat on for the return trip. Nearly fell off the back of the seat whenever I accelerated. I imagine the feeling would be the same without a properly designed passenger seat replacement trunk.

A Givi Monokey rack adapter would hold any number of Givi cases to fit your needs. Then again, if you already have a BMW top case, just use it when you need it. Or maybe split your tools into two bags that would fit your side cases. Better balance that way.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the ideas...Would like to make my bike into a bagger with a passenger seat luggage rack. Need to investigate more. I love the look of the Corbin but way to small...flashy with minimal functionality for my needs. Maybe I can find something gin the middle...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts