BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally got around to sharing my install. Special thanks to all those who took the time to share their custom install tips. While I didn't take a ton of pictures, those that I did illustrate the gist of my version. Of course, I removed just about all of the tupperware except the nose and lower fairings. I even took off the rear seats and trunk to access the antenna and RR saddlebag.

First thing was to cut the Becker control trim panel. Its integrated with the buttons and I felt it was just easier to cut the part I didn't need out. I will be tilting the new control unit with some custom brackets I made.

I removed all of the control guts and cut the housing on a band saw. Straight across & perpendicular to the bottom surface, v-e-r-y carefully. Special attention needs to be paid to the actual width of the control unit + plus the bumps on the box lid. You need to make sure that there will be enough distance between the control unit to clear those bumps and not interfere with the lid. Those bumps allow the lid to remain open as they slide into an intent on a spring under the hinge.

I also put in a neoprene gasket with double sided tape. This will be the grommet for the control unit cable and keep water out of my new glove compartment below.

Then there are those custom bracket 'wedges' I made to elevate one end of the control unit. They will be sandwiched between the control unit and the top of the box trim. Note the RTV Silicone filling the holes that are not used. I will also be using this on the underside of my rubber washer grommet to make sure I have a good seal around the cable.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Sweet install!

Any chance you could be coaxed into replicating those custom brackets? I am pretty sure I am not the only one who could use a set.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is a view of the underside of the radio box enclosure. The Head unit is completely removed and will not be reinstalled. All of the screws have RTV filling any gaps. Note the RTV around the cable and the clamp to hold it in place.

Focusing on the rear of the box, where the harness entered, I made a neoprene flap to be able to capture the iPod adapter cable and the control unit cable. This also will keep the box clean and dry.

While I was at it, I put some sheet foam to quiet down the box if things start rattling around. I had a piece left over from my tool box drawer liners.

Here is what it looks like all reassembled. The lower left hole in the side was plugged up. It used to be where my Audiovox Aux adapter came in.

Nice and roomy! :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I created a 10' Harness which had enough conductors to bring the speakers and power back to the RR saddlebag. I CUT the end of the Becker radio connector off and used the Clymer schematic to properly connect all of the speakers, ground, and ignition power to the harness. All splices were made with marine grade butt connectors with heat shrink seals. Some folks like to solder, but I will swear by these connections when they are done right.

The harness was by far the most time consuming item, Everything was taped first, then the harness was routed down the Left side of the bike and across just behind the rear shock adjuster. A whole lot of black ty-wraps were used!. The Sirius antenna was attached to the existing antenna bracket with a custom mount I made (the included plastic mount was too small for the base diameter of the OEM antenna).

Everything was routed to the factory CD changer hole in the saddlebag. I slightly enlarged it and used a standard rubber grommet. I later siliconed this up to make sure everything is watertight.

I mounted the amp vertically on the back wall along with the Sirius unit. This took a bunch of time to wire it all in and get the cables neatly wound up. There is some excess multiconductor cable which cannot be cut, so it just needs to be coiled up neatly.

Then I added a piece of marine construction board to cover the wires and leave some room for whatever airflow will occur. I had to make a small bracket to secure the bottom.

I still have more room than when the factory CD changer was installed.

This system works great, I have my Sirius, iPod, AM/FM, and Marine WX to boot! My only negative is that I do not have my speed sensitive volume and control at my left thumb. I suppose I will live with it! ;)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some final pics...

Overall, it went very well and I know have flawless integration of Sirius, iPod, and radio functions.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
deputy5211 said:
Sweet install!

Any chance you could be coaxed into replicating those custom brackets? I am pretty sure I am not the only one who could use a set.
Thanks! Unfortunately, no coaxing for me! I barely had enough time to finish this project as it was. ;)

The good news is that the brackets are nothing more than 5/8" Wide x 1/8" Thk strip aluminum purchased at HD. I bent them over a socket on my bench vise. Then I ground the angled ends in my grinder to make sure they taper nice. Everything was pretty basic to do, once I decided how it was going to work.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I had to ask!

Still, a sweet install!

I am tossing about the possibility of doing the Jensen job myself, but I would need it to feed out to a stereo 3.5mm so that I could feed it in to my Autocom system. I also have the Autocom adapter that pulls from the rear speakers, so I imagine I could use that as well, but I suspect that directly out to 3.5mm would cut some circuitry from the patch and result in a cleaner sound.

Of course, I would like to retain the ability to listen through the speakers on the rare occasion I have the desire to not plug in.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Your install looks A number 1.

Some day I'll find someone who will figure out how to gut these BMW53 leaving only the volume, mute, change the CD track with the circuit to increase the volume. Juat add an amp to the remaing preamp.

Best from Tucson
Bob

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
deputy5211 said:
I had to ask!

Still, a sweet install!

I am tossing about the possibility of doing the Jensen job myself, but I would need it to feed out to a stereo 3.5mm so that I could feed it in to my Autocom system. I also have the Autocom adapter that pulls from the rear speakers, so I imagine I could use that as well, but I suspect that directly out to 3.5mm would cut some circuitry from the patch and result in a cleaner sound.

Of course, I would like to retain the ability to listen through the speakers on the rare occasion I have the desire to not plug in.
You should be able to purchase an 3.5mm to RCA adapter at Radio Shack and plug into the Line Out RCA's from the Amp. However, the volume may be too low. In that case all you need is a small, inline AMP.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMSL-SA-S2-High-grade-Digital-Power-Amplifier-Headphone-Amp-12V-Power-Adapter-/120782055397?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item1c1f2be7e5

Attachments

·
Registered
593 Posts
Looks great!

·
Registered
929 Posts
Very nice...the blue on the command module looks great with your bike. Looks like factory work! :thumb:

·
Registered
476 Posts
Super impressive job - it's awesome!

One day someone will figure out how to wire in the handlebar control onto these units and we'd all have a perfect integrated replacement. You look like you might have the skills.....!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
rowie said:
Super impressive job - it's awesome!

One day someone will figure out how to wire in the handlebar control onto these units and we'd all have a perfect integrated replacement. You look like you might have the skills.....!!

I have actually thought about it - a LOT ;)...and I just might do it. I only need to have 5 switches connected to the OEM switches on the handlebar (Ch Up, Ch Down, Vol Up, Vol Down, and Mute).

I honestly don't think it would be too difficult. HOWEVER, if the Commander's PC board is encased in epoxy (which a lot of IPX7 rated stuff is) it will be a bear to access the circuit areas I would need to connect to a remote control on my handlebar. Also, I cannot just tap into the DIN style cable that connects the Commander to the Tuner/AMP because it carries digital signals to communuicate. I need an analog (on-off) switching method - as if I am pressing a button on the Wired Commander itself.

Maybe I should buy another remote commander and fiddle with it... :cool:

UPDATE: Ok...I broke down to peer pressure and I just ordered another Wired Commander module from Jensen. P/N JMS22CM $92. I will be taking it apart to see what I can do... ;) . If its a no-go, I will keep it as a spare in case the one on my bike becomes damaged.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Wow - that's very community spirited of you and on behalf of the members here I thank you for looking into it. Can't wait to see if it can be done!

·
Registered
47 Posts
LJSMITH1 said:
I have actually thought about it - a LOT ;)...and I just might do it. I only need to have 5 switches connected to the OEM switches on the handlebar (Ch Up, Ch Down, Vol Up, Vol Down, and Mute).

I honestly don't think it would be too difficult. HOWEVER, if the Commander's PC board is encased in epoxy (which a lot of IPX7 rated stuff is) it will be a bear to access the circuit areas I would need to connect to a remote control on my handlebar. Also, I cannot just tap into the DIN style cable that connects the Commander to the Tuner/AMP because it carries digital signals to communuicate. I need an analog (on-off) switching method - as if I am pressing a button on the Wired Commander itself.

Maybe I should buy another remote commander and fiddle with it... :cool:

UPDATE: Ok...I broke down to peer pressure and I just ordered another Wired Commander module from Jensen. P/N JMS22CM $92. I will be taking it apart to see what I can do... ;) . If its a no-go, I will keep it as a spare in case the one on my bike becomes damaged.
:corn:

·
Registered
57 Posts
hi there, i am having a 99 K1200LT... realised that my radio control has a display which is quite different from the later models... will it still be possible to cut the console? thanksand greetings from Singapore :bmw:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, it should be very similar. You will still gut the electronics out of the trim panel and make the cut at the top of the display. There will still be three screws left to reattach to the top of the glovebox.

Good luck! :cool:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts