BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given a brand new BMW stock cup holder, but the molding is for a different model than the K1200LT. It looks exactly the same as the K1200LT cup holder, so I am thinking that I can cut some of the molding out to fit the K1200LT.

Has anyone ran into this before? Any luck modifying it?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
bballard said:
I was given a brand new BMW stock cup holder, but the molding is for a different model than the K1200LT. It looks exactly the same as the K1200LT cup holder, so I am thinking that I can cut some of the molding out to fit the K1200LT.

If it is new and in packaging see if your dealer will trade. Maybe with a little cash.

Robert

·
Registered
139 Posts
bballard said:

Probably for the R1200CLC. Could probably get enough at chromeheads to get an LT holder.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Does it have a part number?
Does the '05 handlebar have a cover similar to '09?
From the pictures it looks like that foam padding in the teeth compresses to fit the cover. Maybe someone with one can tell before you perform the surgury.
ride safe :bmw:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks billsmith and yes it has the molded handlebar cover. I am going to try the surgery, I do not want to go through a trade or selling it. The trick is to keep it level and if I screw up the rubber, I figure I can make a new molded piece. You can see where BMW has just glued the molding in. I just need to research a good material to use if I do make my own molding.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Is a little late but maybe it will help you. Yes I have had one of those Holders.
I took all the rubber elements out. On the topside I used a foam rubber about 1 " thick cut to length and on the bottom a rubber seal from a regular sink unit. The part where you stick the runout tube in. Is a rubber seal about 1,5 " long, round shape with several lips on the inside. Is quite a soft part of rubber. Diameter about two inches or more. Cut a part in length I needed and used this inside the Holder as a bottom compression against the foam rubber.

Hope I could help you, Manfred

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mreuter said:
Is a little late but maybe it will help you. Yes I have had one of those Holders.
I took all the rubber elements out. On the topside I used a foam rubber about 1 " thick cut to length and on the bottom a rubber seal from a regular sink unit. The part where you stick the runout tube in. Is a rubber seal about 1,5 " long, round shape with several lips on the inside. Is quite a soft part of rubber. Diameter about two inches or more. Cut a part in length I needed and used this inside the Holder as a bottom compression against the foam rubber.

Hope I could help you, Manfred
Thanks for the reply. I finally went crazy with a die grinder yesterday morning. It worked out great. See attached pics.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts