BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent $1500 on new Ohlins shocks. I run on Metzelers. I bought Don Muddimans armrests. I'd really like one of those $59.00 after market cup holders. Or, better yet, a real BMW factory engineered, $160.00, cup holder. But they sell thousands of regular ones at truck stops for about $1.29. So I bought one. And about $2.50 worth of Velcro strap and strapped one onto the TOP of my right handlebar. Do the velcro in a cross pattern, use 3; seven to eight inch strips of it. Make 'em tight. It doesn't spill for me, it's stable, it works and it's cheap!!! Greg Machak. (see pictures)

Attachments

·
Registered
576 Posts
NCCCC1 said:
I spent $1500 on new Ohlins shocks. I run on Metzelers. I bought Don Muddimans armrests. I'd really like one of those $59.00 after market cup holders. Or, better yet, a real BMW factory engineered, $160.00, cup holder. But they sell thousands of regular ones at truck stops for about $1.29. So I bought one. And about $2.50 worth of Velcro strap and strapped one onto the TOP of my right handlebar. Do the velcro in a cross pattern, use 3; seven to eight inch strips of it. Make 'em tight. It doesn't spill for me, it's stable, it works and it's cheap!!! Greg Machak. (see pictures)
But can you drink it with that helmet? :histerica

Something about a cupholder seems to be in direct conflict with my ATGATT tendencies. But perhaps it's because I haven't had the bike long enough. Cruise control on, feet hanging up and over the J-pegs, Color TeeVee on the BMR copilot shelf, DoubleGulp in the cupholder....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point! I just brought the cup of 7up home from a Chipolte's. I could only drink from that when stopped. I really only ride and drink from the water bottles that have the syrup dispenser caps on them, available at most any gas station. Greg.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Rocketsled said:
Something about a cupholder seems to be in direct conflict with my ATGATT tendencies...
Same here, but to each his own I guess. If I'm going on a long ride and think I may need to drink on the fly, I put on a CamelBak. Loading it up with ice helps maintain a cool micro-climate under my riding jacket too.

·
Registered
576 Posts
amindtat said:
Same here, but to each his own I guess. If I'm going on a long ride and think I may need to drink on the fly, I put on a CamelBak. Loading it up with ice helps maintain a cool micro-climate under my riding jacket too.
Saaay, I LIKE that idea (and have a camelbak, too)...My biggest guilty admission is: sometimes I ride with the modular helmet up...it's just so much nicer that way. I've half considered buying a 3/4 helmet to replace it, but that's just a step too far. My face ain't pretty, and what face I have, I'd like to keep.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Own a US-made car and learned there has to be "cup holders" enough, but somehow seems hard to compute how to drink coffee or what ever from a cup while driving a bike. Bottle I do understand :) Aaand - i do have a bottle holder in mine... :D

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have an OEM BMW cupholder I will sell for $80 shipped to 48 C States.

PM me if interested

·
Registered
241 Posts
Here's my fix; it was relatively inexpensive and it's versatile: Get a RAM mount brake/clutch reservoir 1" center ball cover base ($23, you can also get a side ball); minimum 3" double socket arm ($13), and the cup holder from www.expressmounts.com ($13 or $16, depending on which you want). I also have a waterproof iPhone holder that works really well.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I think cup holders are over rated.
Motorcycling is a very unique form of outdoor entertainment and adventure. And we could each do it any way we please! And forget ATGATT for the time being and consider the great expense of money and engineering to put handlebar, and front wheel BALANCED ok you see where I am going with this two cup holders maybe. But upset this equilibrium just for cup of coffee or pop/soda/beer it just does not compute. A camelbak, bottle /straw in pocket or all you care to carry on pillion seat but not mess with the guidance and handling even a little. That's my 0.03
ride safe :bmw:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
amindtat said:
I'm gonna have to get a camelback too.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
L_Rudy said:
Here's my fix; it was relatively inexpensive and it's versatile: Get a RAM mount brake/clutch reservoir 1" center ball cover base ($23, you can also get a side ball); minimum 3" double socket arm ($13), and the cup holder from www.expressmounts.com ($13 or $16, depending on which you want). I also have a waterproof iPhone holder that works really well.
That looks great!!!

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
NCCCC1 said:
Cup holder, LT, cheap.
I'm almost certain that somewhere in the bylaws
there's something that says you are not allowed to mention the words
LT and cheap in the same sentence
unless of course you are referring to the rider!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Rocketsled said:
Something about a cupholder seems to be in direct conflict with my ATGATT tendencies...
I have a couple of these...

...laying around at work. I started thinking about them and how they would be easy to use with a full face helmet on. With a little creativity the cup holder could probably be mounted somewhere on the LT. The cup is insulated and fits pretty snug in the cup holder. Here's a link to the product if anyone is interested:

http://mealtimepartners.com/products/drinking_products/drink-aide/drink-aide.htm

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
SilverBuffalo said:
I'm almost certain that somewhere in the bylaws
there's something that says you are not allowed to mention the words
LT and cheap in the same sentence
unless of course you are referring to the rider!
Hans,

Is it Ok if we say "relatively inexpensive and it's versatile" ? :rotf:

·
Registered
676 Posts
An old post, relevance being that the cupholder does not attach to the handlebar, and has no bearing on steering balance, and is darn inexpensive, and mega easy to attach, just lick and stick....tested to 110mph...didn't fall off!!

This is from a post I made in May of last year, I have been using this cupholder since before then, and have been using it constantly through now. I have used it for cold drinks on very hot days, and hot drinks on very cold days, it has NEVER fallen off or even thought about falling off. Yet is is a snap to remove when you don't need it. Plus it is out of the way and easy to access, and I doubt it would get near a tank bag...Cheap, and great product! (I'm a user, not the maker, seller, marketer, or commissioned sales!)
Oh, and no holes to drill or bolts to put on!

I bought a liquid caddy drink holder from Bass Pro online.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...__SearchResults
This is actually a pretty incredible item for $20. It comes with 4 different attachment bases, one for a handlebar (2 sizes), one clip base, one velcro strap with rubber backing base, and the suction cup base. The holder is actually well made, with a machine screw attaching device for the cup holder to the base. The forum entry that I initally saw, the LT owner had snaked the velcro strap around the handle bar near the brake reservoir, I tried that, but couldn't get it to go, even at that I was less than impressed with the holder hanging from the handlebar. I later tried the suction cup base on my windshield. those suction cups hold on like gangbusters! Only problems were that it was kind of hokey when I wanted to raise or lower the windshield. Lastly I tried putting the suction cup base on the side of the "gas tank" This has worked out great. It doesn't interfere with my knee when I ride, it doesn't clank around on the handlebar, and I can put it on either side of the bike. Just a little spit on the suction cups, and IT DOES NOT FALL OFF! It is also damn easy to take off and put on. I do it a lot, and it still hangs on at all speeds. I like it, and it really works for me. the holder can also extend from the bottom, to make it deeper for long items like water bottles and my coffee cup. Pretty cool!
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachm...achmentid=27339
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachm...achmentid=27340

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
For 8 or so years I had the official K1200LT BMW cup holder and it worked flawlessly. Wish that they made one for the K1600. I had to remember to oil all of the hinges (must have been at least 10) at every fluid change. I've got to say that it could not have been more complicated, BUT, it folded out of the way when not in use and always worked correctly.

The only objection was that it would not keep beverages hot or cold very long. Riding in Florida, one of the best ways to stay cool is to sip or gulp cold liquids often and for that, something like a Camelback seems to work best.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts