BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys,

I just did an oil change / filter replacement.

I put on a new magnetic oil drain plug that I ordered from A&S power sports.

As I was running the engine post oil change to check for leaks I looked down and the new crush washer was sitting on the garage floor.

So I ran the bike for 20 min to check for leaks and all was AOK

Do I need to pull the plug, trash the oil (I would not consider recycling (putting back into the engine) because of the mess and trouble to get the used oil back in the engine.

The problem and reason I am writing is that I have to leave for a 600 mile trip this afternoon and I have no oil to put in the bike and limited time.

Do I need to deplay a few hours and get 4 new quarts of oil and pull the drain plug and install the crush washer?

Lastly, how much OIL do I need o put back in since I am not going to pull the filter?

THANKS in advance for the quick responses...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Just a quick reply back as I am sure many others will chime in. First, I am not certain, but I believe the crush washer is designed to prevent a leak vs. "locking" down the screw as the washer seems to be lacking certain features for this to happen (remember, you are putting the washer that just "sits on metal" just like it would be without the washer.

Personally, I think you would be safe to ride the bike without it -- or until you see a leak around the head of the screw -- even then, the leak will be minor.

You also will need to note that this area gets real hot and I am thinking it will expand the metals and create even a better bond with the screw and the pan. On the other hand, you are dealing with an expensive piece of equipment as compared to the cost of 4 quarts of oil (you can run to wally world and get 20w 50 at $2.50 a quart) -- or drain it in a clean container and repour it back in your bike after you put the washer there.

Your call, but I think you are safe -- let's see what the other guys are saying.

Glenn

·
Registered
47 Posts
Heck, pull the plug, insert finger, use other hand to install crush washer onto plug, and re-install. Be careful and quick, and you may only lose a small amount. Top off the oil with a little more if needed. ONLY my .02 tho'.
or......use the old plug to hold the oil in check while fixing the magnetic plug ;)

·
Registered
207 Posts
The crush washer is just that, it is soft metal and crushes to seal surface imperfections. If you are getting a seal now without it then you are probably OK. It also wouldn't hurt to recycle the oil using a clean container. I would continue to watch it though when it is hot to be sure it is still sealing.

·
Registered
723 Posts
A trick I learned working in a auto repair shop is to push up on the drain plug while unscrewing it. Keeping pressure on the threads will minimize the drippage you get while backing the plug out. You can feel when the threads clear and then you quickly pull the drain plug free and insert your finger. You shouldn't even lose a cup of oil.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks,

I am going to try the insert finder into **** method with my drip pan underneath.

I will need an extra set of hands to put the crush washer on for reinsertion before I leave.

Boy this sounds dirty!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
dukey33 said:
A trick I learned working in a auto repair shop is to push up on the drain plug while unscrewing it. Keeping pressure on the threads will minimize the drippage you get while backing the plug out. You can feel when the threads clear and then you quickly pull the drain plug free and insert your finger. You shouldn't even lose a cup of oil.
Good advice above. And I would not run without the crush washer. Also check the torque specs closely.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so I just pulled my finger out of the hole and put on the crush washer and reinstalled the magnatic drain plug.

All in all she only dropped about 1/8 a quart of oil into the pan which I recycled back into the engine easily.

I put her all back together and she is ready my trip tonight.

THANKS to wolfflow for the advice on gving my bike te finger.

Both of us came out better for it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
:D Glad "we" could help. Never, I repeat, never "cheat" on a safety issue. Tires, brakes, or leaks. (gas,oil,water, etc,) Remember, your on two wheels. ;)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Paul....I'm late to the party on this thread, and probably just as good. I was gonna suggest laying the bike over on its side to keep the oil from running out while you re-installed the crush washer. OH well.....next time. :wave

Glad it wasn't a big deal for you.

JD

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
I was just going to say leave it go til next time. Been there done that no worries. :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
I was going to suggest to tell her to roll over so you could scratch her belly! :wave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts