BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly! Hope everyone has had a Marry, Marry & a Happy, Happy!

I need to either service and or replace the switch at the clutch leave for my cruse control. Now my question what all is involved in getting to that bad bad switch?

Anybody been there, done that?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
is the red light still on?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,919 Posts
rd_gonz said:

I need to either service and or replace the switch at the clutch leave for my cruse control. Now my question what all is involved in getting to that bad bad switch?

Rene,

The switch itself is fairly easy to get to. There are a couple of screws that hold a plastic cover over the bottom of the clutch lever area. Once you remove that the switch is visible. It is actually two micro switches coupled together as one is a starter cutout (or cut in if you are in gear) and the other is for the cruise cut off. One actuates before the other. Now the tough part is the OTHER end, the electrical connector. It goes some where up under the nose cone. I have not tried to trace it out yet.

May be able to find the other end after removing the windshield and the front dash cover. (don't forget the hidden screw behind the map light). You will also have to remove the handle bar covers on the left side.

I hope I covered the right switch I had your post confused with an earlier one that asked about the cut off. The other one, cruise on/off is a bit more involved as it is a bit of a puzzel to disassemble the housings. You have to hunt for hidden screws.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!

sheldan2- The indicator light comes on and off just as it should. At this point if I rest my fingers on the clutch lever the the world is good, but lift that pressure and run over a bump on the road and the cruise drops. Obviously time for some plastic surgery!

jzeiler- I had already removed the two retaining screws holding the radio control housing on the underside but could not see how to completely remove the control it self to get to the switch. Now are these the same two screws you refer to and if so whats the trick to getting the radio control unit off? There must be a clip or snap still holding, I get some movement of the unit but still can not get it off.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,919 Posts
You don't need to remove the radio control housing to get to the clutch switch just the two screws on the bottom cover plate (plastic) just under the base of the lever.

The clutch lever itself actuates these switches and there are one or two very small screws that hold the switch and offer a slight bit of adjustment. I ended up bending the lever on the switch (front brake is similar) to get it to stop actuating on a slight pull.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Check the...

rd_gonz said:

speedometer cable first, where it is tie-wrapped to rear brake line. My 00 LTC exhibited the same symptoms and the cable was almost cut all the way through. See this post http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=90380#post90380

1 - 6 of 6 Posts