BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a (new for me) 99 LT. The curise control is not working. The red light comes on on the handlebar when it is turned on, but I can't get it to activate. The instrument panel does not indicate it is on. I recently switched the headlight to HID...maybe I disconnected something inadvertantly. I do not know if the cruise worked when I purchased it; this is the first time I have tried it. Thoughts?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don't know what climate your in from your profile, But some people
have had trouble with cruise when it gets cold.

It's usually a cable adjustment. Roll the throttle back and see if you can
hear a little click. That's the cruise cancel switch. Let it go and see if
you hear another click, the switch releasing.

There should be a little free play in the throttle grip.

Good Luck

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cruise control

Yeah, I looked further into the archives and see that this is a common problem. Hopefully it will cure itself when the weather gets more respectable. If not, I'll have to check the cables and switches.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cruise control

Oh, by the way. I'm in Boston. We lost the NFL playoff game last night and we got 3 inches of snow this morning. Maybe I'll go back to bed and wait for spring.

·
Registered
103 Posts
It's a pretty simple thumbwheel adjustment at the grip.
Biggest problem is getting them too tight and the cables tighten up.

Good Luck

·
Registered
78 Posts
Your problem is definitely cold weather. Mine won't function below about 70 degrees. One solution is leave the right handle bar in the sun for about 45 minutes which works for me in the Houston area during the winter. However, after riding for awhile the cold wind will sometimes cause it to stop working again. Sometimes, turning on the heated grips to maximum will work.

Of course, you can always ask your BMW dealer to adjust it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Guess I am lucky then (or the european modells are a tad different?). I am riding all year and these days we have allways between -10 and -3 degrees Celcius. The cruise control works just fine on the highway. :)

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Check the screws on the clutch cover

I've had several instances where my cruise wouldn't engage. The last time was after they replaced the clutch do to a leaking main seal. It seems if you torque the cover screws down too tight, the switch won't engage. My screws are on tight enough to keep the clutch fluid in, but not tight enough to cause the switch not to make.

YMMV

·
Registered
282 Posts
Cruise control

My previous LT (03) developed the same problem Started in cold weather and gradually worsend. It was a micro switch. Replace that and it ran fine. The cold weather is when if first started to show.

·
Registered
99 Posts
pcra said:
Guess I am lucky then (or the european modells are a tad different?). I am riding all year and these days we have allways between -10 and -3 degrees Celcius. The cruise control works just fine on the highway. :)
I don't think its related to US/Europe model differences as my cruise also works just fine at low temps. I used it when it was 38 f(3.3 C--no, i'm not smart enough to convert it on my own-i used a conversion webpage) degrees and have used it more than a few times now with temps in the 40s (7ish C)--haven't had a problem with it at all.

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
My cruise also works fine at all temps. But yeah, it's gotta be adjusted carefully, and the clutch micro switch is the most common issue.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
goodbob said:
Oh, by the way. I'm in Boston. We lost the NFL playoff game last night and we got 3 inches of snow this morning. Maybe I'll go back to bed and wait for spring.

BTW, how did you find out it was not working?? With 3 inches of snow????

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ahhh. You are not familiar with Boston weather. It was 60 degrees one day and then snow the next.

I took everything apart on the clutch and throttle and couldn't seem to make it work. I will take a look at the micro switch in the spring. We had another few days of 50 degree weather this last week for good riding and then 7 inches of snow today. I think I will be developing surface cracks in my body if this freeze then thaw keeps up.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Ok, I just had the problem this morning. I came from Phoenix area last week to Atlanta, then over the weekend went to Daytona Beach. Temps on the way over down to 40 degrees. Cruise worked fine until returning back to Alanta this morning (light rain and fog with temps mid 40's). I tapped the clutch to knock off the cruise for traffic and it would not reset. Same symptoms...light is on, but will not engage.
I pulled in rain, so did not stop to look at it.
Should I try adjusting the tension thumbwheel on the clutch lever?
The 2000 mile trip home on Friday and Saturday will be hard on my right hand and shoulder with cruise control.
Lowell

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
goodbob said:
I have a (new for me) 99 LT. The curise control is not working. The red light comes on on the handlebar when it is turned on, but I can't get it to activate. The instrument panel does not indicate it is on. I recently switched the headlight to HID...maybe I disconnected something inadvertantly. I do not know if the cruise worked when I purchased it; this is the first time I have tried it. Thoughts?
There's also another micro-switch at the throttle rail associated with the throttle closing cable; this was the one that was giving me trouble on my '02 until I adjusted it.

Next time it's cold (like now :)) and the cruise isn't working, use the 10(?)-step cruise control diagnostic procedure (copy in the HOW) to narrow the fault sources down. The procedure isn't foolproof, but it's useful 95% of the time. It at least is a disciplined approach to finding the problem, and should help you determine whether it's the microswitch at the clutch, the front brake, the rear brake, or the throttle rail (assuming it's a microswitch problem in the first place).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just purchased a 2000 k12lt with nonop cruise control. The dealer checked the system and determined the stiff throttle cables had place a higher load on the solenoid than it and the linkage at the throttle bodies could overcome. Replaced the cables (really smooth and easy throttle operation now) and that cured the problem. Have a dealer tech diagnose the cruse for you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the pointer to the 10 step diagnostic check.

It is the microswitch. That will save me some time fiddling with the throttle free-play although I guess I will have to anyway when I replace the switch.

Cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Rear brake pedal?

I discovered that an improperly placed right foot ever so slightly on brake pedal could keep it from engaging. Also the micro switch associated with rear brake can stick when its cold. A couple of quick jabs and a check that your brake light light is off might just do the trick. I started a 1000+ mile ride and had resigned to no cruise the first 100 miles until I figured it out.

Good luck

Jeff

1 - 20 of 42 Posts