BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

My cruise control would not engage this morning. Did not have any issues. Had both sides tuperware off yesterday could I have pinched something?.

Also when I stopped at work I realize my trunk latch was left open. Could the cruise have a safety and not engage because of that?

I had my right side tuperware off, than took the left side out to check the reverse pinched wires.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
538 Posts
There is a ton of posts in the Search but the main thing since you had the plastic off on left is check that the throttle cables are not being pushed by the plastic. It doesn't take much to throw the cruise off. No trunk safety.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trunk Safety

Well I went out for lunch just now on the bike and the cruise worked fine. So to conduct a test I open the trunk latch on my way back from the restaurant and guess what, the cruise will NOT engage. Which leads me to beleive that there is somekind of safety, maybe introduced with the alarm system that mine has (which I HATE). But it sure will no engage. I was as bold as trying on my parking lot at slow speed to leave a side bag latch open and it will NOT engage as well.

I guess I answered my own question.

Thank you anyway.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
ATLDB said:
Well I went out for lunch just now on the bike and the cruise worked fine. So to conduct a test I open the trunk latch on my way back from the restaurant and guess what, the cruise will NOT engage. Which leads me to beleive that there is somekind of safety, maybe introduced with the alarm system that mine has (which I HATE). But it sure will no engage. I was as bold as trying on my parking lot at slow speed to leave a side bag latch open and it will NOT engage as well.

I guess I answered my own question.

Thank you anyway.
Well, I believe you have to chalk this one up to coincidence -- there simply is *no* connection of *any* sort between the cruise control and the luggage latches.

I would suggest running the cruise control diagnosic procedure in the archives/HOW to see whether you can isolate the microswitch that isn't cooperating. My bet is the throttle switch (actuated by the throttle closing cable) is right on the edge of engaging/disengaging. It's known that if switch is on the edge, and the close cable is displaced from where it normally sits (either unclipped from the outside edge of the left radiator duct, or slid an inch or two up/down in the clip), the switch won't trigger. If this is the problem, and playing with cable position doesn't fix it, there are pics/instructions in the archive (some under my name) showing the switch and its adjustment.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thank you for the input. I just got home from work and the cruise worked fine. So I am not going to worry about it. If it ever comes back and stays I know where to find the info now. I myself was doubting the latch connections thing, I guess as you said I hit a total coincidental on and off patern.

Thanks man

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Thats how mine started acting up. One Morning it didn't work for about a half hour. It was cold in the morning. When things warmed up it worked. Then it wouldn't work on cold days, but it would on warm days. Dealer fixed it under warranty and it was a cable issue. Some adjustment or repositioning I don't really know which.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts