BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I still have a non functioning cruise control, no red diode! nothing, have checked normal items, no luck, i was wondering if anyone out there might have a copy of the relevant section of a wiring diagram, no wiring diagrams on my workshop CD, forgot its a 2003 k1200lt/se, im in the UK.
Tanks in anticipation.
Regards Stevie.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Stevie,

Not sure what you have gone through so far (can't remember previous posts) but other than the plug that goes into the cruise control unit and switch on handle bar there is not too much that can just quit (sensors see below). I am sure you have checked the fuse, so I would concentrate on the switch and make sure it is getting power.

If you have run through the basic cruise control test to see if all the sensors are working properly and the cruise light comes on when it should, then it is probably a cable problem. Let me tell you, it can be a B^#@H getting them adjusted right. The adjustment procedure for the cruise cable alone is not the best written and even after confering with a mechanic I still can't get it to do as it should.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for reply

There is no SET light on dashboard & the red diode on cruise control switch(left switch assembly ) does not come on, the cruise control is dead!!, there is power at both sides of fuse, the bulb in the dash is not defective (i checked it), all other electrics are functioning correctly,there is power at the cruise control (control box) connection plug, there is power at the clutch switch lead connection (behind headlight, below dash).
I am not a mechanic but i can patiently slug away, but i have run out of ideas, before it is suggested, the cruise control diagnostic procedure to be found on these pages, is only valid if you have a red diode & SET light.
Have checked around for loose leads, dry connections etc, but any suggestions are wellcome.
Before any one says it, it is booked into a dealers on 22/11/06, owing to workshop bookings & work commitments that is the earliest available, but i would rather fix it myself.
Thanks
Stevie

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,556 Posts
Stevie,

Sounds like you have just about eliminated everything except the CC unit itself. Short of inspecting the integrity harness from the controls all the way down to the unit.

The only other thing is that the switch itself has been known to fail so a disassembly of the controls may be in order. (If you can't turn it on you can't test it) There is a little ramp inside there that actuates the on/off switch. Worth a look while you wait for the dealers backlog.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Sounds like you have covered it pretty well. Like John says, I'd check the switch there on the handle bar. That would be where I put my $50....Let us know what they find if you don't figure it out before.....

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Just a quick question. Have you or the dealer done a fluid replacement in the clutch circuit? The only reason I ask, is if I tighten the screws too tight on the clutch resevior, then I the cruise either drops out or doesn't come on at all. Loosen the screws that hold the cover on about 1/8 of a turn and see what happens. JM2CW.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
today i plugged in another cruise control unit, no change, then plugged in different handlebar unit, no change!!, sat down on driveway & wiped away tears, will check on clutch, as per previous post, but it looks like the dealers for the beast.
Regards Stevie

·
Registered
68 Posts
Steve,
I'm not an electrician but I'am a mechanic. Have you checked the micro switches on the clutch,hand brake and foot brake. Any of these will disengage the cruise control.
Just a thought,
Don

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
stevie1 said:
today i plugged in another cruise control unit, no change, then plugged in different handlebar unit, no change!!, sat down on driveway & wiped away tears, will check on clutch, as per previous post, but it looks like the dealers for the beast.
Regards Stevie
Sorry, I've come into this one late -- the lack of the red LED sez one of two things to me: defective switch on the left grip panel (as others noted above) or a break in the left grip harness. This harness runs down the handlebar, around the steering head, and down into the electrical box under the fuel tank.

Iff'n it were me, I'd pull the tank and (i) do a hand-over-hand check for harness damage, then (ii) open the electrical box and disconnect the left grip panel connector, and probe for continutity on the cruise switch leads as the switch is moved through the off/on/etc. positions.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cruise control failure.

Hello
Just to update on this thread, have had the diagnostic checks done at the dealers, they have come back with the handlebar switch staying open, removed it this morning & took it to a electronics shop to get it tested, he confirmed that the C/C on/off switch is knackered, this is the round cylinder inside that is operated by the ramped switch, although i tried a different switch previously, in hindsight i only plugged in the cruise section & not the main block, so it would never register anyway!!.
Couple of questions, i have read previously of people who leave the C/C on off switch permanently on, does this cause potential problems?, can it affect the C/C??, if it does not cause any problems, would it be ok to leave the switch permanently live?, ie just join the wires & forget about the broken switch??, does anyone know where the actual round switch can be obtained, a new handlebar multi switch costs around £220=$400, for an item that packs up after 3 years & 22000 miles it is extortionate.
All ideas opinions gratefully recieved
many thanks
Stevie
PS service from dealers (Ocean of Plymouth UK), was excellent, & i was not overcharged, a pleasure to do buisiness with.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
stevie1 said:
Hello
Couple of questions, i have read previously of people who leave the C/C on off switch permanently on, does this cause potential problems?,
I have a 2000 lt with 70,000 miles on it. I leave the CC switch in the ON position at all times. I never had any problems.

·
Registered
773 Posts
C/C switch

Stevie

You could try Motorworks, Motobins or James Sherlock. They all do 2nd hand spares

Graham

1 - 13 of 13 Posts