BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I have got to get it working right, before spring. Just wondering, how many switches are there to the cruise? :confused:
I have heard there are quite a few. :eek:

·
Registered
31 Posts
clutch!

Agree with cluch sensor adjustment. Had 06 that I bought ued with 9k on it w same problem. Dealer adjusted the switch at clutch and has been flawless for last 9k.....

best of luck and Merry Xmas!
Rich

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
I cannot remember when the speed sensor was removed from the final drive. If your '02 has this, the culprit is almost guaranteed to be the wire from it being partially cut where it is zip tied to the front end of the rubber brake line, at near the pivot point of the swing arm. This is very common, and will cause the cruise to kick out on bumps when the wire is flexed. I was the first to have this problem and posted about splicing the wire back, and over the years since many, many more have done so.

Watch the speedometer when riding over bumps and see if the needle flickers. If so, the problem is the wire.

If you do not have the speed sensor on the '02, then it is another problem.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I had same problem, it was front brake handle switch needed adjusting, try riding it with opposite force on the clutch handle, front brake handle and foot brake, this should help isolate the switch.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chockkicker said:
I had same problem, it was front brake handle switch needed adjusting, try riding it with opposite force on the clutch handle, front brake handle and foot brake, this should help isolate the switch.
This I tried, and to no avail. It also does not engage all the time.
:( :confused:

·
Registered
624 Posts
Search the Hall of Wisdom for the Cruise Control Diagnostic Procedure. It will tell you where the problem is.

In my case, I had 2 problems, the speed sensor wire and the throttle microswitch.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Sometimes a bent (or partially bent) foot brake lever could also be the culprit. Have you dropped it lately? Don't ask how I know.:eek:

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
That's exactly what happened on my 99. The wire was cut where the zip tie was attached. In my case, however, the cruise had quit working altogether.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is the "Hall of Wisdom" the archived treads? I saw a few in there about steps. Just can't find the one with the steps laid out. :confused:
No I never dropped it, but the previous owner had(not moving). It only had 1200 miles on it, but I can see with all the switches, any one or more could be causing it.
Thanks!
Steve

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
OU812 said:
Is the "Hall of Wisdom" the archived treads? I saw a few in there about steps. Just can't find the one with the steps laid out. :confused:
No I never dropped it, but the previous owner had(not moving). It only had 1200 miles on it, but I can see with all the switches, any one or more could be causing it.
Thanks!
Steve
Steve - take a look at this by Joel.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just went through this too. On a previous failure, it was the clutch switch. This time the dealer said they repositioned the throttle cable and it started working. Said they cut a zip tie holding the cable in place and this allowed them to repositon the cable and it worked. Took them only a min to find it, said they have seen it before. I was in a hurry so they left it at that and they will look closer when I have it in for something else in the future. Just took it on a 1k mi ride this weekend and it worked the entire time.
Happy holidays!

·
Registered
284 Posts
similar issue on 99

i had the same issue on my 99
was the wire going to the speed sensor just where it was tie wrapped to the frame around the brake stuff.....had to strip back the wire and solder it together.....fixed it and its been fixed for 2 years

IF you watch ur speedo closely ...and its that wire....you will note a little jump in the speedo when you hit a bump or something.....it doesnt take much to knock the cruise off.....

just follow the wire from the sensor to where its crimped all to hell with some wire ties and thats where u are likely to find the problem!

·
Registered
552 Posts
My cruise would stop working and I would find if I cleaned the metal plate between the foot brake adjusting screw and the sensor this would fix it every time. The paper towel would come out dirty from road grime.

Push down on the foot brake and you will see were there is a screw that adjusts the height of the foot brake but it also triggers the crush cut off.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dick said:
Steve - take a look at this by Joel.
Well, I went through the diagnostic check, and got as far as twisting the throttle back. No light up. It does not tell you what to do at any point, when the test fails. And that is when mine did. I checked the cable adjustment accoring to my Clymer's, and still no positive light up on the full throttle twist to stop (with the motor off). :mad: :confused:

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have also been trying to correct a cruise control problem on my '05. My crusie works fine below 60mph no problem setting and will hold. Between 60mph and 70mph I have trouble getting the cruise to set and it will hold intermittantly. Above 70mph where it is most needed, it will not set. During the diagnostic check everything is OK until the final process of spinning the rear tire, no light. I have checked the speed sensor clearance and have tried adjusting it in and out with no results. Any ideas why speed is effecting the
cruise control being able to set? -Chuck-

1 - 20 of 33 Posts