BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any idea what to look for? I set my cruise control and it will hold until there is a need for more acceleration or deceleration. it will release if under any load. any suggestions?

As always, Thank you in advance

Rick

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
brycesdad said:
any idea what to look for? I set my cruise control and it will hold until there is a need for more acceleration or deceleration. it will release if under any load. any suggestions?

As always, Thank you in advance

Rick
Most the time it's the "clutch " Micro switch. Remove the cover on the underside of the clutch lever. You will see the switch , just loosen the screw , push the switch tight against the clutch then tighten the set screw. Mine did the same thing last year.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Rick,
on mine the switch on the throttle bodies failed. I believe there 4 micro switches that can shut off the cruise.

Clutch, front brake, rear brake, throttle. Any one of these could be causing the problem.

If your hearing is good I believe you should be able to hear them click if they are working. Hopefully some one with more knowledge can confirm this.

good luck

Roy

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Two responses so far and they are only telling you where there failures were. Click Here for the cruise control diagnostics. Since yours seems to happen on either speeding up or slowing down it could be the switch on the frame rail.

·
8,601 Posts
Steve_R said:
Two responses so far and they are only telling you where there failures were. Click Here for the cruise control diagnostics. Since yours seems to happen on either speeding up or slowing down it could be the switch on the frame rail.
When I ran the diagnostics it showed NO FAULTS so I started with the clutch switch first. It was loose and moving it closer into the leaver did the trick.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Your sig indicates that you've only had this bike less than a month, so just want to make sure not to overlook the obvious...like that fact that if you roll-off the throttle manually, this will cause the cruise to disengage. Sometime when I hit a bump, I don't even realize that I've done it (rolled off the throttle), but I have. IT sounds like another problem here...but I just want to make sure to mention this OEM functionality.

·
Registered
87 Posts
katnapinn said:
When I ran the diagnostics it showed NO FAULTS so I started with the clutch switch first. It was loose and moving it closer into the leaver did the trick.

If you an switch it on and it has no faults, it's cable might be too loose.
I had that in my bike. I took left fairing off and went to drive.
During driving I was settign cruise and I took it's cable in to my hand (a littlebit acrobatic was needed). I was feeling in my hand that it was pulling cable quite a long time. So there was too much play in it. It was long way to adjust and it was cancelling adjusting process after speed was dropping some 10 km/h (about 6 mph).

So, I was adjusting cable play to be smaller and it has worked fine afterwards.

Regards
Leiboshi

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
I've had problems with the cruise on my '02 twice. Once was the micro switch in the clutch lever. The second was more insidious and intermittent, but I finally traced it to a battery ground cable that wasn't tightened by the morons masquerading as techs at Victory BMW in Chandler AZ. Not that I am holding a grudge.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Brycesdad,

When I bought my '03 LT "Silver Bullet" last year,I was sometimes experiencing the same thing with my cruise control.The problem went away after,my sticky throttle cables got replaced with new ones.If your throttle is stiffer than normal,that could be the cause.Hopefully it's just a loose switch!

Good luck,Robert.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, alot to think about. first, the throttle cables are kind of tight But, the cruise didn't do this when I first got the bike. It could be the micro switch. I'll look into that possibility. I had the throttle bodies off for the breather hose replacement so I may have bumped something there. also had the cables removed for throttle body removal. it is kicking off with no throttle input from me.. could I have changed the cable adjustment? I didn't move any cable thumb screws. Thank you for all the replies.

Rick

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
brycesdad said:
OK, alot to think about. first, the throttle cables are kind of tight But, the cruise didn't do this when I first got the bike. It could be the micro switch. I'll look into that possibility. I had the throttle bodies off for the breather hose replacement so I may have bumped something there. also had the cables removed for throttle body removal. it is kicking off with no throttle input from me.. could I have changed the cable adjustment? I didn't move any cable thumb screws. Thank you for all the replies.

Rick
Yes you may have unknowingly changed the adjustment on the cables. I don't remember what the adjustments are but I am sure some one will chime in.

Roy

·
Registered
217 Posts
I had 2 cruise control issues:

1: speedometer cable coming off of the rear wheel is zip-tied to the rear break line. Metal end of that hose rubs the insulation of the speedometer cable, until the wire breaks or shorts. This problem/cure I found searching this site.

2: switches at clutch. Only mine didn't involve the mounting screws for these switches, but an insect part (may have been a housefly, or portion of a honey bee) interfering with the free motion of one of the switches.

Both had the same symptoms: cruise control would not always hold, even on a level road.

If I had a problem when it called for accel/decel, I would suspect a stiff throttle cable, or the actuator for the cruise control, binding. Its trying to adjust the throttle, but gave enough force for long enough, and didn't get expected results, so gave up. I had similar issue with an automobile, many years ago. It used vacuum to pull the throttle, and the vacuum line had a crack; it tried to pull throttle, didn't get desired result, and disengaged.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
My Cruise Control seems to work fine, but nontheless I have just done the Diagnostic test mentioned above..

Everything goes as explained EXCEPT when rotating the rear wheel.

The Set light barely flickers without going out.

Should I leave it or does something need adjusting ?.

·
8,601 Posts
simoncharles said:
My Cruise Control seems to work fine, but nontheless I have just done the Diagnostic test mentioned above..

Everything goes as explained EXCEPT when rotating the rear wheel.

The Set light barely flickers without going out.

Should I leave it or does something need adjusting ?.
There has been a update to the test that states to ignore the rear wheel step. I don't remember the reasons off hand just that it is not used any longer.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I have this same problem. I'm sure it's the sticky throttle cable. Mine are really tough to operate. I'm changing them soon. I don't want to make any long trips this summer with the hard throttle. My hands are a little arthritic already. I doesn't help to also have a tough throttle............... :rolleyes:

·
8,601 Posts
simoncharles said:
Steve, thanks for that information ( ignore rear wheel step ).

Should I take it that the rest of the test is still valid ?.
Yes altho when i tested mine eveything tested good but I still Had a micro Switch out of adjustment

·
Registered
6,424 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Mine (03) will disengage if it's cold to cool out and bike hasn't been ridden in a while. Usually, I can roll the throttle all the way to stop a couple times and it will start working properly. Running 60 +mph in 5th gear, you can do this w/o getting too fast or abrupt or anything. Give it a try. After the bike warms a bit, it does fine. Cables get to sliding easier.

might be the simplest fix yet.

Randy

1 - 20 of 27 Posts