BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my 2002 ltc, it now seems that to engage the cruise control, I have to hold the outer part of the switch to make the red light come on, where as before this was always on, then I am able to engage the cruise but I have to push on the outer part of the switch to keep it on. Does this mean that there is a possible short in the wiring in the switch? can only this switch be replaced? Or are the cables in need of adjustment?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Try squirting some contact cleaner into the switch and working it back and forth. Be careful with that stuff, it might mar the paint.
Bruce C

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
re: cruise control

thanks for the info, that was one of the first things I tried though, still not working as it should. I suppose will have to make the unwanted 50 mile trip to the dealership, and try deal with their staff. Useally have more luck communicating with deaf mute rabid animals

·
Registered
137 Posts
Cruise Switch repair

There is a small ramp on the bottom of the slide that moves across the actuator on the cruise switch. The actuator pin or ramp can wear down preventing the switch from closing. Fixing this is relatively easy. Remove the right hand upper wire cover and the switch assembly from the left control assembly. The screw are on the bottom of the assembly. Flip the switch over and remove the screws and cover below the cruise switch. The on/off and set/resume switches are small cylinders that are pressed into the cover. Remove the one for on/off and cut a small shim from a piece of plastic. About .005"-.010" thick (milk carton, soda bottle) will work. Push the switch back in and re-assemble. I have seen this on several bikes LT's where the owner switched the cruise on and off a lot. Really no reason to ever shut the cruise off.

Chuck Swenson

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mustered up the courage and took off to the dealer this am, after about an hour, they finally decided that the switch was bad, and would be covered under warranty, however did say that my throttle cables needed replacing, (though not that much different to the feel as on a new bike) but did say that the cables were not under warranty, so since they would already have to take the bike apart for the cruise, why not put new cables on. So I said, I will buy new cables and pay for an hour labor (seen that they were already in the area) and have them put the new cables on. Well that did not go over well, the dealer wanted to charge $125 for the cables (dont have a problem with that)and $375 labor to put them in. So I guess when it is time to put new cables on I will be happy to pull all the plastic off and do it myself.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
iowalt said:
There is a small ramp on the bottom of the slide that moves across the actuator on the cruise switch. The actuator pin or ramp can wear down preventing the switch from closing. Fixing this is relatively easy. Remove the right hand upper wire cover and the switch assembly from the left control assembly. The screw are on the bottom of the assembly. Flip the switch over and remove the screws and cover below the cruise switch. The on/off and set/resume switches are small cylinders that are pressed into the cover. Remove the one for on/off and cut a small shim from a piece of plastic. About .005"-.010" thick (milk carton, soda bottle) will work. Push the switch back in and re-assemble. I have seen this on several bikes LT's where the owner switched the cruise on and off a lot. Really no reason to ever shut the cruise off.

Chuck Swenson
That is exactly what I needed! Thanks very much. My fix was borrowing my wife's yellow-rubberband-elastic-ponytail-holder-thing and hooking it over the switch and the ram ball on the clutch reservoir cover. It does add a touch of color, but is not a good long term fix.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am with iowalt on this one as I had to do the same on my 2000LT although I used a few layers of black electrical tape.

Scott

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been having a problem with my CC - I can get to step 8 and when light goes out and holding pedal for at least 5 sec I let my foot off break pedal the light comes on for about 3-4 sec and goes off instead of staying on . I also noticed I don't have a red light on my switch at the left handle bar contol switch ??

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
If it comes to it there are left and right side control modules for sale on ebay. Price seemed quite reasonable.

Loren

1 - 9 of 9 Posts