BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm bothered by the intermittent operation of my cruise control. The dealer adjusted it once for $100, but it didn't take long to quit again. Sometimes wiggling the clutch lever brings it back, but not yesterday when I needed it.
Leaving on a ride thurs and would like to have it working. Can anyone tell me what to take apart and adjust to get it working? 2000Lt.
thanks

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
If the dealer adjusted it and it is on file then they should fix it again, provided it has not been too long. Talk to them maybe they will give you a break

·
Registered
809 Posts
I've had trouble with the on/off switch and set/resume switch combo. I've found cycling on/off switch several times (clean corroded contacts?) solves the problem.

I have noticed, however, the failure to engage is accompanied by failure of the red light to illuminate. If your red light is not illuminated, I don't think it's the clutch switch. There is a diagnostics thread here somewhere; if you haven't printed it yet, I would recommend it.

Enjoy the ride!
Curt

·
Registered
805 Posts
Hey Steve. There are about a dozen things that affect CC function. My suggestion would be to start with the CC diagnostic checklist. It is in the HoW somewhere, but a quick way to get to it is to open the thread listed below this reply called "Cruise Control Diagnosis = . . ." posted by coug66. In his post he prints out the whole checklist. Also, see the reply by Rando in that thread. If your CC sometimes comes to life when you wriggle the clutch lever it is likely that you have a bad connection/bad wire at the clutch switch and/or a bad clutch switch and/or a bad CC module (the thing that is mounted in the combination switch housing), but I don't want to assume this is true. Hence the diagnostic checklist. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.

The red LED in the CC switch goes on and off properly when the switch is moved.

I did find the checklist, and went through it a couple of times. Each time everything is ok through step 7. Step 8 onward, nothing changes, with the dash indicator staying off.

I may try to run by the dealer tomorrow to see if they'll re-adjust, assuming it is the same failure as last time. After they adjusted the clutch sw, the CC worked for a while, then a rough campground road seemed to cause CC failure again. Playing with the clutch lever that time did get it working again. The CC has failed a couple times since, and snapping the clutch lever in and out a few times brought it back. I don't know if the dealer will adjust w/o charging, but if not I'd prefer to do it myself.

Now that a longer ride is coming up thurs, of course the thing won't come back. Grrrr!
Suggestions appreciated!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update on cruise control failure. This time it was something to do with the throttle cable. Took it to my local dealer, Victory BMW, who had adjusted the clutch lever switch in Sep. They looked it over, found the throttle cable was a bit stiff or something, said they removed a zip tie and repositioned the cable and the cruise started working. This is a bandaid to get me through a ride this weekend to Death Valley. A couple of tests and it seems to work for now.

I want to give Victory BMW a good mark for this one. They were short handed today, and still offered to look at it. They got it working and didn't charge me for the service. I'm usually quick to bash a dealer for most anything, so I think it is only fair to give them kudos on this one.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I've got a little problem with the clutch microswitch. I have to push the lever back, not pull it in, to make the connection. Pushing it rather than pulling sets the microswitch.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
I had this problem with my front brake lever.
had to push it forward every time I wanted to use CC.
I took it apart, loosened the screw on the switch and held it where I wanted and retightened the screw.
It didn't really look like there was adjustment allowed...but......
Two years now without a glitch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts