BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always wondered what the disadvantage (if any) would be to leave the cruise control on/off slide switch always in the on position. The advantages I have imagined would be less wear and tear on the switch itself, the cruise control system would be available with one less step. I cannot think of any disadvantage. A trivial question, but I find myself thinking about it every time I slide that switch forward. My LT runs so great with the routine maintenance for so many years (2000 LT) and advice I get from other members the only questions that run through my mind when riding are those "what if" questions. Any thoughts about the slide switch position?

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
I always wondered what the disadvantage (if any) would be to leave the cruise control on/off slide switch always in the on position. The advantages I have imagined would be less wear and tear on the switch itself, the cruise control system would be available with one less step. I cannot think of any disadvantage. A trivial question, but I find myself thinking about it every time I slide that switch forward. My LT runs so great with the routine maintenance for so many years (2000 LT) and advice I get from other members the only questions that run through my mind when riding are those "what if" questions. Any thoughts about the slide switch position?
Mine has been on since sometime in 2007. :surprise:

·
Registered
715 Posts
From an electro/mechanical perspective there seems to be no ill-effects based on other's experience.

But I would like to lay out why manufacturers have implemented the CC in this manner.
Having the on/off switch in addition to the set switch is what is referred to as two-step commanding or arm/fire implementation. Why is this used on CC? It is a system that can engage the throttle. Obviously, in some situations this could be very hazardous if unexpected or unintended. The additional level of interaction is intended to protect against unintended engagement of the system. So it is "unsafe" if a rider leaves the system ON? Probably not immediately so since applying either the brake lever or pedal, pulling the clutch lever or sliding the switch to OFF would all disengage the system.
While all of us would say it is highly unlikely we would reach over and unintentionally or unknowingly engage the CC button, leaving the system ON does defeat one level of inadvertent engagement. Consider if the SET switch were to fail shorted for whatever reason (yes, never heard of it happening and switches at rest do not tend to fail closed on their own, but without looking at the detailed design I could not say that is not a credible failure).
That said, like all things: life is a balance of risks. A failure of the CC that engages the throttle inadvertently is so low, it's probably not anything we would ever have to worry about. But the on/off switch is the belt-and-suspenders implementation to preclude that from occurring. Probably more a manufacturer's CYA more than it would ever be needed. (I can imagine a few years ago Toyota looked deeply into the CC systems in their cars.)

I'm not saying the switch should be left off unless the CC is actively being used, just wanted to help everyone be aware of why the switch is even there.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,170 Posts
Well said on WHY it is there but mine has been "armed" for 15 years. Better than replacing a $485 switch gear assy. Although there is a published repair procedure done by ltcommuter.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I haven't turned my cruise slide switch off in 4 years.

·
Registered
575 Posts
When I bought the bike a few months ago I saw that the switch was on so I turned it off. To date I have not even tried to use the CC but I should give it a go I guess.

·
Registered
233 Posts
When I bought the bike a few months ago I saw that the switch was on so I turned it off. To date I have not even tried to use the CC but I should give it a go I guess.
Next to the hydraulic center stand it is the BEST feature of the LT. Reverse is third. I don't leave it engaged for long but it gives the wrist a rest on the highway.

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
Next to the hydraulic center stand it is the BEST feature of the LT. Reverse is third. I don't leave it engaged for long but it gives the wrist a rest on the highway.
Cruise is numero uno for me. The LT would be unridable without it. Then the electric windshield and then EHCS and reverse. :grin:

Reactions: gorm5

·
Registered
575 Posts
Cruise is numero uno for me. The LT would be unridable without it. Then the electric windshield and then EHCS and reverse. :grin:
Sounds a bit like a verse from Shakespeare.

How do I love thee let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height my soul can reach.
When my wrist gets tired I reach for the cruise control.

Well it's Valentines day after all. :laugh:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,170 Posts
I have to use CC when on the super slab, if I don't she wants to settle in around 84 MPH. Must be a resonant speed or something, not 83 not 85 but 84.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I have to use CC when on the super slab, if I don't she wants to settle in around 84 MPH. Must be a resonant speed or something, not 83 not 85 but 84.
I use the CC to relax and force myself to behave. Otherwise I'm doing 85-90 mph. The LT really settles in around 85 plus. Well. Gotta admit. I like it to.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I guess I just took that for granted. Love it but I could pick one spot and leave it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts