BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Afternoon, I have a K1200 LT in great condition 50,000 miles apart from the cruise control not working. There is no LED light when switched on. Fuse is OK. Are they any obvious checks that I should do before taking the bike to my local stealer (sorry dealer).

Thanks
Colin

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
billbobkateliz said:
Good Afternoon, I have a K1200 LT in great condition 50,000 miles apart from the cruise control not working. There is no LED light when switched on. Fuse is OK. Are they any obvious checks that I should do before taking the bike to my local stealer (sorry dealer).

Thanks
Colin
There is a cruise control diagnostic procedure shown here which might help you in figuring out the problem. This was found in the HoW files, under the 'service' tab. You should also list what model year your LT is - might help someone to give you assistance. Good luck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had a similar issue. Hope your fix is as cheap as mine.

No light on dash when I tried to enter CC Diagnostics routine.

So I ordered replacement switchgear, second hand. When it arrived, before removing the original I thought I'd try the new one out. Now having the replacement one in hand it was easy to find the correct conection to swap them over. The new one allowed me to enter the diagnostic routine.

But, always curious, I reconnected the original. Which also now started working. So I can only assume the original connection was loose or dirty and disconnecting and reconnecting resolved the issue. That was twelve months ago and it's still working fine :dance:

Replacement was returned and a refund was given.

·
Registered
375 Posts
If all connectors are ok, then we have a mechanical Problem. Usually is a throttle cable somewhere in the way. They have to be exact in line with the repair instruction, if you worked on that I would recommend to check this. If they sit on an other place as they should be your cruse control will not work.
Instruction how to bring them in exact line should be somewhere here on the Forum. Maybe in Technical ?

Hope I could help you, Manfred

·
Registered
710 Posts
Stop and keep bike running. Give the clutch lever a moderate slap from the inside of lever...pushing it outwards. Mine worked ever since I did that. You could do it whil riding but be careful you don't sounterstear the bike into the next lane.

Ron

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes!! I've just recently repaired my cruise control. It was a problem with the Bowden Cable where it had corroded about halfway down. You need to remove the left hand fairing panel (approx half hour work of tupperware). The cable cost approx £30...approx $45?

I can give more details if needed. Works a treat now!

Best wishes
Tony

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
You are in luck.

Someone made a video which I believe you can find in this thread:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1670603

While I was changing the throttle cables, I had to pull off the fuel rail to do it, I was able to move the micro switch just a hair. That seemed to give me enough extra travel in the micro switch to get the CC working.

Best from Gorham ME
Bob

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,556 Posts
Look at post #42 in this thread . may solve your probelm if it is a flakey switch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To all who have posted thank you and apologies for not replying sooner. I have been riding the bike in the last vestiges of a rubbish UK summer. I will try the cleaning of the connections in the switch first.

regards

Colin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts