BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a strange problem. Most of the time my cruise control will not engage until I turn the ignition key off then on again. If I'm riding along and the cruise control will not engage, I can pull in the clutch, turn off & on the key while coasting, and the cruise will work. 2000 K1200 LT. (Just pulling in the clutch without working the key does not help). Any suggestions on what could be wrong?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I've got a strange problem. Most of the time my cruise control will not engage until I turn the ignition key off then on again. If I'm riding along and the cruise control will not engage, I can pull in the clutch, turn off & on the key while coasting, and the cruise will work. 2000 K1200 LT. (Just pulling in the clutch without working the key does not help). Any suggestions on what could be wrong?
Mike,
Because of multiple micro-switches, the cruise system can be tricky to troubleshoot. I have done a lot of work on this and your description of the symptoms are the most bizarre I have ever seen. There is a built-in "static" diagnostic method for the cruise unit.

I think you should start with this thread for a good tutorial on troubleshooting the cruise-control:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61130

Let me know what you find after running static diagnostic on center-stand.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Another potential trigger is a grounded input from the rear wheel sensor. Trace the wire to where it's zip-tied to the frame and inspect it closely after cutting the zip-tie off. It rubs through on the back side and gets intermittent, causing the speedo needle to bounce and the cruise to shut off when you hit a bump. If you have not repaired this yet, be sure to check it. Good news is that it's an easy fix if you can run a soldering iron and know how to use shrink tubing.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Another potential trigger is a grounded input from the rear wheel sensor. Trace the wire to where it's zip-tied to the frame and inspect it closely after cutting the zip-tie off. It rubs through on the back side and gets intermittent, causing the speedo needle to bounce and the cruise to shut off when you hit a bump. If you have not repaired this yet, be sure to check it. Good news is that it's an easy fix if you can run a soldering iron and know how to use shrink tubing.
Good tip from Dean as my cruise-control tutorial does not mention this issue that is specific to K1200LT having the speed-sensor on rear drive (1999-2001 for USA market).

More info and good pictures about this issue in these 2 posts:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=550346&postcount=32

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=550357&postcount=34

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,253 Posts
Maybe the real question to ask is "is the little red light on the entire time or does it come on when you cycle the key"? Or do you mean it will not respond to a "set" command until the key is cycled?

·
Registered
876 Posts
This post is intersting as my '05 exhibited its first fault a couple of months ago. The red light was on (cruise control enabled) but it suddenly decided to not "set". Stopped the bike, turned the ignition on/off etc multiple times, rode off, no change. Stopped and pulled the fuse for the cruise control, all good, not blown and not dirty on the contacts. Refitted the fuse and took off, all was normal again. Looks to me as if fuse removal had the effect of re-setting something. Inputs for the cruise are prbably a little different between the 2 bike years. Thoughts anyone ? And has the OP tried this ?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had this happen on my '09 when I got it and after dealing with this issue for some 6 months I had the dealer look at it and they replaced the controller. Thankfully it was still under warranty when this was done. If I remember correctly it was a $700 - $800 part. I hope yours turns out to be a simple fix.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts