BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in an effort to sort out my new to me 2002 LT , the cruise control doesn't work. Light comes on, but it fails the diagnostic check. I assume it's the unit itself, or is there more I should look at? Is it a fairly easy process to swap it out with a used one? Is there a procedure listed anywhere?

·
Registered
498 Posts
The diagnostic is very finicky. If you haven't already, do a search for cruise control after cable replacement. You will find some great info about the quirks of the system.
Can you give more details on your situation. Did you check the fuse under the seat? What step is failing? Did it ever work, and you did something and now it doesn't....

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I believe I have a cruise control unit available IF that turns out to be what you need.

·
Registered
375 Posts
+1
If you have changed the Throttle cables or did some maintainance work under need the tuper ware in front where the cable coming down and moved the cables then you can have trouble to get your cruise control working. The cable have to go down exactly the same way as installed in original.

Manfred

·
Registered
338 Posts
The cruise on the LT, is also has some connection to the ABS and warning system. I can not tell you where to start looking, it is obviously activated if you have the light coming on.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the responses. The cruise never worked since I bought the bike (about 1 month), the DPO said it never worked for him (~2 yeears).

My cruise light at the switch goes on, so I don't think it's the fuse. In the diagnostic I can't get it to "SET" in any of the scenarios.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Do you have access to a GS-911 interface? Maybe someone in the area has one you can use, or even someone on the forum can ship it to you as a loaner. I would send you mine, but in the shuffle of divorce, bachelorhood, and re-marriage, it is AWOL.

Might be able to read a fault code, which may provide additional insight.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,412 Posts
One quick try is to loosen the throttle cables at the grip just a little. Then roll the throttle to the off position and then a bit more. Have some one listen (engine off of course) down on the left side to see if they hear a "click" when you force the throttle past off. Loosen the inboard cable a little more unitl you hear the click.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I changed my throttle cables to the latest ones from BMW. In the process I gained access to the cc switch at the throttle rail (?).

I was able to move it just a wee bit which fixed the cc with the old cables still in place. When I replaced the cables, I made sure the cc worked. As I started putting everything back together I constantly checked that the cc worked.

Being able to use the cc during my trip from Maine back to Tucson made a HUGE difference!

Prior to replacing the cables, I spent many hours trying trying to adjust the cables. One time I tore everything apart to get to the little micro switch on the throttle rail, but gave up when it looked as if I'd have to remove the air box.

I used past threads to track down where my cc problem might be. And, with help from this community, I replaced my throttle cables by removing the fuel rail and injectors.

Best from Tucson
Bob

·
Registered
20 Posts
pardon my incredibly low tech suggestion, but try spraying some WD40 in the switch housing. Then work the switch through its positions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Drove me nuts checking everything; eventually discovered the clutch lever bouncing on crappy Australian roads was sometimes just enough to open the switch and kill the CC. Moral of the story? K.I.S.S. :histerica

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
This thread might be of some help?

Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts