BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know much about the RT line, but an older RT-P I'm looking at doesn't have cruise control. I think none of them did before a certain year - '05, maybe?

For owners of older RTs, what do you do for a cruise control solution? I'd prefer something factory/stock, but a quality after-market product would be OK, too. It does have some kind of bar-end throtte lock, but I have no experience with that and it doesn't seem as user-friendly and useful as an electronic CC.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
All I can do for relief on my '85 RT is use a Throttle Rocker / Cramp Buster. I'd also be interested in being able to remove my hand from the throttle for a while.

Jeer

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
The Throttlemeister actually works well and is relatively inexpensive. See the link:

http://throttlemeister.com/seeitwork.html

I added one of these to my 2010RT even though I have the electronic cruise control. There are times when I want to be able to chang my grip or let go for a minute without the throttle going to idle but the road conditions are not right to us the electronic cruise.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
K1200 BMW's in the vintage 2002-onward (?) had CC...

That being said... CC for R bikes was much more complex and not factory available until 2005.
Throttlemeister devices certainly work and are an inexpensive add-on. I have had several bikes with them. They are awkward at first but soon become handy. I never got all that comfy with them. My 955i Triumph has one. I never use it. I think were you ride is a big part of it. Here in Canyon country it is not used as much. Long flatland would be different.

There is an aftermarket electronic accessory (available?) and it is said to be effective, but spendy. I have not heard much chatter about them lately. Supposed to be a somewhat difficult installation. Said to require professional install. I have a pal who had a R1150RT and he talked about adding it. I can ask him if you like.

Google is your friend.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
A fat O ring on the bar end weight, roll it up to the gap between the weight and rubber grip. You now have the grip captured. Works good. But then, it is low tech. :)

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
My Harley has a thumb screw on the bottom side of the throttle houlsing that can be adjusted to apply resistance for the throttle roll off. The O-ring would do the same thing and the resistance could be "adjusted" by how tight the bar end is screwed down. Yes it does require you to manually close the throttle but it is set on my HD to offer very little resistance. It isn't an problem....unless maybe you were to fall of the back of your bike!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
hschisler said:
I don't know much about the RT line, but an older RT-P I'm looking at doesn't have cruise control. I think none of them did before a certain year - '05, maybe?
Maybe a little off the subject, but have RT-P ever had cruise control?

Years ago I equipped my bikes with "poor-man" cruise control by taking the throttle return spring off. I now realize how stupid that was.

JayJay "older and hopefully wiser"

·
Premium Member
7,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, it was my assumption (you know what they say about that) that adding CC to an older RT-P would be idential to an RT. Maybe not?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts