BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced the problem of the cruise control disengaging too easily? Lately any tiny bump in the road causes it to switch off. I suspect that one of the sensors on the clutch or brakes is the problem, but I am not sure how to isolate and deal with the problem. Any help will be most appreciated since I am about to head to the Bay of Fundy soon and I would like to be able to use the cruise capability.

Sorry if this topic has been discussed, but I was unable to find a relevant post...Chastise me if I was inept. :eek:

·
Registered
323 Posts
A friend owns an R1200RT that had the same problem. He has had it to the dealer a number of times. They checked and replaced sensors and the problem still persisted. He was travelling with other bikes and the rider directly behind him noticed his brake light was flashing periodically and thought his foot might be resting on the brake lever and causing the light to flash when he went over a bump etc. This was not the case so he checked around the lever for some other physical interference that might be causing the problem. None was found. He eventually checked the clearance on brake switch and adjusted it. Problem solved. Something to check if you haven't already.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Another Possibility

Do you have a throttle rocker on your bike?

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
I thought the cruise control diagnostic procedure was posted in the HOW, but could not find it.

Here it is again.

It may be that your throttle closing cable is too tight. It needs sufficient play to allow the switch to release.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
I had a similar problem and traced it to a mal-adjusted microswitch in the clutch lever. With the engine off, and if your hearing is too bad you can hear the switch click as you work the lever. That might give you an idea if it's too sensitive.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had the same problem. Took it to the dealer and he replaced something under all the tupperware and it worked fine for a couple of weeks and then the problem reappeared. I adjusted the micro switch in the clutch lever and I have had no problems since. That was over a year ago.
My money would be on adjusting the micro switches in either the brake or clutch levers.

Ken

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good Tips

Thanks for the tips. I will endeavor to isolate the problem. From the symtoms, I might lean toward a tight throttle because if I have a good grip on the throttle, the cruise seems to stay on better. When I have my hand off the throttle it disengages more quickly.

I guess I will have to start with the throttle and then move to the others until it gets better or worse. David, thanks for the diagnostic, but would that work on an intermittent problem like this?

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
goodbob said:
Thanks for the tips. I will endeavor to isolate the problem. From the symtoms, I might lean toward a tight throttle because if I have a good grip on the throttle, the cruise seems to stay on better. When I have my hand off the throttle it disengages more quickly.

I guess I will have to start with the throttle and then move to the others until it gets better or worse. David, thanks for the diagnostic, but would that work on an intermittent problem like this?
The diagnostic will tell you how little you have to move the throttle toward the hard off stop to get it to disengage. If you barely move it, then the closing cable is adjusted too tight, or the cable is routed badly near the throttle rail. If the cable is not clipped into the little clip on top of the fan shroud, or if it is being deflected by the wiring harnesses at the throttle rail pushing against it, the spring cannot push the cable housing back easily to release the cruise switch.

You can also just listen carefully down by the left side as you turn the throttle grip hard off, and release it again. You should hear the switch click on and off.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Check the

goodbob said:
Has anyone experienced the problem of the cruise control disengaging too easily? Lately any tiny bump in the road causes it to switch off. I suspect that one of the sensors on the clutch or brakes is the problem, but I am not sure how to isolate and deal with the problem.
Speedo wire coming from the final drive as well, where it is tie wrapped to the rear brake line, above the swing arm. I was experiencing the very same conditions, cruise disengaging due to bumps, had all the switches checked out, finally the wire got cut all the way through, and no cruise at all, no speedo either.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
ustasub said:
Speedo wire coming from the final drive as well, where it is tie wrapped to the rear brake line, above the swing arm. I was experiencing the very same conditions, cruise disengaging due to bumps, had all the switches checked out, finally the wire got cut all the way through, and no cruise at all, no speedo either.
Yep, did not see that you were riding a '99. On any earlier than '02 the cut speed sensor wire at the brake line fitting is a really common problem.

Pull the little side fairing in front of the right side case and cut the zip tie holding the sensor wire to the front end of the rubber brake line. Excellent chance that is your problem. Fortunately, easy to repair the wire and insulate it better from the metal fitting.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dshealey said:
Yep, did not see that you were riding a '99. On any earlier than '02 the cut speed sensor wire at the brake line fitting is a really common problem.

Pull the little side fairing in front of the right side case and cut the zip tie holding the sensor wire to the front end of the rubber brake line. Excellent chance that is your problem. Fortunately, easy to repair the wire and insulate it better from the metal fitting.
Bingo....you and Jeff nailed it. I took off the tupperware, removed the tie wrap, and the wire completely severed when I moved it to inspect it. It probably had only one or two strands left. Half an hour later I was off riding. I took a route that bounced me like a pogo stick and the cruise held steady. Neat! :D :D :D

Thank everyone so much for their knowledge and willingness to share. What a great group of people and resource this is.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2001 LT and I had the same problem with the speedometer bouncing and the cruize would not stay enguaged and sure enough, it was the pick-up wire that was zip-tied to the rear brake fitting where the hose makes a 90 degree turn that was cut.. I re-spliced the wire and now it works like a champ.

·
Registered
531 Posts
edit..ok, its too early, I see you solved your problem but keep this handy for reference, its easy enough to try......

I had the same problem on my 02 LTC along with intermittent operation (ie, when it felt like it!)

Try this, it worked for me and is still working (110K+ miles on the bike).

Use electric contact cleaner, shoot it into the microswitch area while working the engagement side to side, gently.

let it dry, douse it with WD40 afterwords using the same method.

Repeat as necessary, took a couple of times for mine to come to a 100% resolution regarding the initial problems.

6 bucks worth of fluids later, I've had no further problems since.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts