BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the '05 out of winter storage and noticed both the cruise control and reverse don't work now. They were both fine when it went into storage. Clutch, brake and sidestand switches are working, fuses all good. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Rodent damage?
Flipped up my seat recently to check something and noticed an extra grey wire??
Followed it to the body of an expired mouse who had been lounging on my warm battery.
I found no damage and have had no problems but the little buggers can get everywhere under the body panels and they do like to chew on wires so do a continuity check on effected circuits.
Place a "sticky pad" trap under your seat (and elsewhere in your storage area) to see if you have unwanted guests.

·
Registered
53 Posts
From the FAQ:
What is that darn Cruise Control diagnostic procedure?

1. With the igniton switch OFF, switch on the cruise control.Press and hold the SET button to the SET position and switch on the Ignition switch (LIGHT)
2. Release the SET button (LIGHT GOES OFF), move to RESET position (LIGHT)
3. Release the button (LIGHT OFF) switch OFF the cruise control switch (LIGHT)
4. Switch the cruise control switch back on (LIGHT OFF)
5. Close throttle. (LIGHT), relaese throttle. (LIGHT OFF)
6. Pull clutch lever (LIGHT),release clutch lever (LIGHT OFF)
7. Pull front brake lever, (LIGHT) release lever (LIGHT OFF)
8. Push foot brake pedal (LIGHT ON), hold for 5 seconds.(LIGHT SHOULD GO OFF), release foot brake pedal (LIGHT ON)
9. Rotate rear wheel (LIGHT SHOULD GO OFF/ON)
10. Switch off ignition.

Haven't thought about it enough to guess how it's related to reverse, but the above should get you closer.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,
Did the diagnostic tests.... 1 thru 4 check out ok, 5 thru 9 no lights..........???

·
Registered
349 Posts
Thanks,
Did the diagnostic tests.... 1 thru 4 check out ok, 5 thru 9 no lights..........???
The first time I did the test, step five confused me. Just to be clear...you are rolling the top of the throttle forward, as in the "slow down" direction, and pushing it against the spring? IE, farther than the normal idle position?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Mr. Mouse had a party and has eaten through other wires. Take the tupperware off and inspect the wiring harness as they come down to the fuse blocks...the attached wiring diagram should help you understand the wiring path...hope you can view the diagram

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Figured it out, cruise cable needed replacing. That explains why the throttle closing diagnostic failed. At 50K it was a good time to replace all the cables anyway. Had to resort to the dealer for the reverse problem. They said it was a wiring issue.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
349 Posts
calvarez, no cc does not work. I am getting power to the switch but nothing happens when I turn switch on???
Others may have a more specific answer to this, but I would start with checking the fuse that feeds the cruise, then checking the switch itself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts