BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my thread regarding using Epoxy to measure shim thickness I posted that I found another source for the bearing. vxb.com I ordered 2 bearings from them.
$75/ea 2 day delivery. Chicago BMW gets about $85/ea 3 week delivery. Local dealer has them in stock at $87/ea. The VXB bearing orders online as a 61917,
same as the BMW. It appears to be slightly larger in OD. Mikes at 120.05mm vs BMW 119.97mm. The hot bearing installed on the frozen shaft as nice as could be.
No matter how hot I got the cover, it would not slip on. I did manage to install one last week but had to tap on the cover more than I like. This one today would
not go on at all no matter how hot the cover. A BMW bearing will typically slide halfway into the cover at room temp.

Lesson learned. A couple dollars/days saved isn't worth it.

Dan Martin

·
Registered
637 Posts
Be sure to mic in two directions & average the diameters. Otherwise the .08 mm difference should take ~50 degF more heat on the aluminum to get to the same +.08 mm larger dimension. Expansion of aluminum is 12 microinches per inch per degF

Steel expansion is half that.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took that bearing off and will trash it. I had the cover up to over 200 deg F. Could not tap it down in place. Will install the BMW bearing tomorrow. It also seemed out of round. The cover would pivot as it seated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts