BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm heading from Couer d Alene to the Olympic peninsula tomorrow. Hwy 20 is beautiful, but I've done it a few times. Any other great routes you know of? I'd like to avoid urban as much as possible. Two days is ok as well.
Thanks

·
Registered
596 Posts
Highway 2 or 12
Some very nice roads between leavensworth and Yakima.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I was headed on 20 west last year which was closed. I turned around near Grand Coulee Dam, went south to 2. I was bummed at first that I couldn't see the Cascades again, but the ride south, and then 2 was a fine ride. Enjoy!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just this past month went to Canada from California and went to Yakima WA on the way back home. Was over 100' in Yakima. Was uncomfortable and the next day headed back to the coast along the Columbia River. Only day we saw rain in the 8 days of travel 2300 miles.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hwy 2 is great, but Hwy 12 or even 410 is great too. Out of Yakima you will be given a choice, both are good, 12 is quicker, 410 goes through Mt. Rainier park.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Hope I'm not too late to this party
I would also recommend route 2. Still fresh in mind from last summer. Eastbound out of Mukilteo to Coeur d' Alene. Enjoy your trip.
ride safe :bmw:

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Hwy 2 is a nice ride, but be extra careful…it's regarded as the most dangerous road in WA state.

I would throw in a vote for Hwy 410 out of Yakima. The Chinook Pass will be beautiful this time of the year and a nice little side trip would be a ride up to the Sunshine Lodge visiter center (you'll pass the left turn off for it on 410…it's well marked). Before you get to Chinook, you'll pass a restaurant named Whistling Jacks…nice place for lunch with good food.

Either way, enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info. We found some good spots today. Unbeaten paths but a great ride. Newport to usk,west to chewela (incredible lonely road!), kept working west through bluecreek,Gifford, ferry to inchelium, then to nespelem, finally going south to coulee city, then 2 to Wenatchee. We'll go on 2 to Everett then 5 toward anacortes, down whidbey island, ferry to port Townsend.
And to think I'd done most of the good roads here....

·
Registered
679 Posts
Hi, When you get to Everett, why not just take the Mukilteo/clinton ferry, and ride up Whidbey Island to Coupeville, Then you can take the ferry from there over to Port Townsend....If you are going all the way to PT, are you planning a run up to Hurricane Ridge? If you are making the run all the way around the Olympic penninsula, check out the Moclips highway past Forks, takes you out to Pacific Beach...Nice road.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi, When you get to Everett, why not just take the Mukilteo/clinton ferry, and ride up Whidbey Island to Coupeville, Then you can take the ferry from there over to Port Townsend....If you are going all the way to PT, are you planning a run up to Hurricane Ridge? If you are making the run all the way around the Olympic penninsula, check out the Moclips highway past Forks, takes you out to Pacific Beach...Nice road.
Thanks, will do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts