BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am preparing to take my wife camping for the first time on the K1200. She loves the bike, but she is also proudly high maintenance. I have a Coleman tent that is 2.5 feet long by about 6 inches in diameter. It will obviously not fit in the current luggage racks I have, but I really need to bring it. It is the only way to fit the air mattress her highness requires as well :rolleyes: (BTW, that fits in the luggage).

I know I could just break down and get the luggage rack, but I was hoping not too. I am also toying with folding the tent up further and just dealing with the poles. They are the 2.5 inch issue. Any hints?

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
mowoc said:
I am preparing to take my wife camping for the first time on the K1200. She loves the bike, but she is also proudly high maintenance. I have a Coleman tent that is 2.5 feet long by about 6 inches in diameter. It will obviously not fit in the current luggage racks I have, but I really need to bring it. It is the only way to fit the air mattress her highness requires as well :rolleyes: (BTW, that fits in the luggage).

I know I could just break down and get the luggage rack, but I was hoping not too. I am also toying with folding the tent up further and just dealing with the poles. They are the 2.5 inch issue. Any hints?
Hi, Tom. Being in your location, I imagine you've seen just about all the camping tents there are. These are receiving high marks in the industry and might be worth a look in case your wife decides to continue "high maintenance" camping! :D I'm not a camper, so these seem a leetle pricey to me, since I have no basis. Just thought I'd mention it cuz I wuz just reading Rider magazine and they spotlighted them in their 'New&Cool' section.

I know you already have a tent - just forwarding this in case a birthday present is imminent, or Santa comes to the Rockies in July/August. ;) :D

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Hey, Mowoc... how about a pic of your existing gear laid out around the bike... perhaps we could brain-fog supthin'

One thing, you could buy your wife new clotes as you travel along and mail the dirty ones home. Also, stopping at KOA's where there are some "Kampin Kabins" would minimize the need for a tent...

Another option is to cut your tent poles and patch the them with conduit (thinwall pipe).

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
According to Red Green, man's best friend is duct tape.

You can cut the poles at an angle use tongue depressors as splints, and tape em up.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
mowoc said:

Tom, you might consider the "Meese" tube for the tent poles! It is in this thread:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10969

Of course it may not be long enough, but I'm sure Ken can give you details if you ask.

Otherwise, figure on a trailer, or at least the luggage rack!

Good luck!

John

·
IBR# 366
16,560 Posts
My tool tube is about 14" long and 4" inside diameter, so not big enough for your tent. You could always make up a bracket down there, but I'd be worried about cornering clearance.

Maybe she could just hold on to the tent while riding? Or maybe not. :)

If you don't want to get the luggage rack, then I'd look at fashioning some straps that hook on the back two trunk bolts and keep the tent suspended above the tail light. Some strong nylon strapping and some ingenuity ought to do it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the help.

Meese, I really like your idea, it seems like the least intrusive. cutting the poles may be an option as well. I actually rolled out the tent last night, and it was not as bad as I though. The poles may only be 20 inches. Let me get pictures and measurements and I will get back to you.

Thanks again,

Tom

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
New item

Tom:

I don't have the link to this, but at two recent national shows I've seen an item that lookled like an oversized golf bag. This is made of a rigid plastic and has a top where it can be totally enclosed. This in turn mounts on the back of a bike by slipping it down into a rack which holds it on the back of the bike. The thing is so large you can actually get two golf bags in it. The last place I saw this was at the Wing Ding in Nashville. If I can find the name of the product or the company handling it, I'll post the info.

ttyl

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
You need a luggage rack. My wife always packs our clothes according to day needed in a 2.5 gallon freezer bag...sit on it to get all the air out, seal it shut and it's thin enough to fit a whole week in one saddle bag.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts