BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Creative Zen Micro MP3 player which I really like. I plan to plug it into my Voice II intercom as soon as I buy one and install it on my '05 LT. (this would install in the oddments box on the audio in on the Voice II and I believe the volume for the radio would control the audio in as it actually goes to the aux on the radio).

I have the optional wired remote for the player which controls the tracks back and forth, the volume and a couple other things. See this link for the remote: http://www.creative.com/products/mp3/zenmicro/accessories/

These remotes are only about $18 so I would like to run the handlebar controls into the wires on the remote to control the track forward and back so my wife can control the player.

Does anybody know the wire colors for the track forward and track back buttons? I am assuming I can tap into these wires and control my player. This would be a good alternative for me instead of having to get an ipod and an ice link and still have no display on my '05.

I assume I can dismantle the switch on the handlebar to get the wire colors but is there any reason why this should not work?

I would like to hear from the more advanced electrical wrenchers before I tackle this project.

Thanks.

·
IBR# 366
16,549 Posts
I don't have the wiring colors in front of me, but I know this can be done. I've been controlling my older iPod using the handlebar switches for a few years now. This was before options like the ice>Link, so I had to figure it out for myself. It still works just fine.

The handlebar switches basically just connect to ground when you press them. The front (handlebar) and rear (trunk) switches act exactly the same for this purpose. I opened up the iPod's factory remote, figured out that that also works by grounding out the corresponding pin, and then soldered wires to the iPod remote's IC chip. These wires got connected to the corresponding wires for the BMW handlebar switches.

Note that I don't have my factory radio installed, so my handlebar switches were not connected to anything. You would need to have a separate toggle switch installed to switch the ground lead between the factory wire (to control the radio functions) and the remote's ground (to control the mp3 player). I didn't need to do this, but I know it is possible as that's how BMW switches control between the radio and their Euro factory GPS system.

One other thing, the handlebar switch wires feed down into the radio stingray, so it may be easier to get to them there.

Just curious, Hammick, where are you located?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
meese said:
I don't have the wiring colors in front of me, but I know this can be done. I've been controlling my older iPod using the handlebar switches for a few years now. This was before options like the ice>Link, so I had to figure it out for myself. It still works just fine.

The handlebar switches basically just connect to ground when you press them. The front (handlebar) and rear (trunk) switches act exactly the same for this purpose. I opened up the iPod's factory remote, figured out that that also works by grounding out the corresponding pin, and then soldered wires to the iPod remote's IC chip. These wires got connected to the corresponding wires for the BMW handlebar switches.

Note that I don't have my factory radio installed, so my handlebar switches were not connected to anything. You would need to have a separate toggle switch installed to switch the ground lead between the factory wire (to control the radio functions) and the remote's ground (to control the mp3 player). I didn't need to do this, but I know it is possible as that's how BMW switches control between the radio and their Euro factory GPS system.

One other thing, the handlebar switch wires feed down into the radio stingray, so it may be easier to get to them there.

Just curious, Hammick, where are you located?
Ken:

Thanks for the info. I am located in Kansas City, Missouri.

I am wondering if I really need a switch because the player will be going into the aux port on the stereo. I quess the question is will the handlebar buttons send a signal when in aux mode?

I really don't have a good understanding of what "connecting to ground means". Do you think I have to solder to the pcb of the remote or can I just cut off the remote part and run jumper wires to the remote cable wires?

Thanks for the info.

·
IBR# 366
16,549 Posts
KC, Huh. Too far for me to come and help, I'm afraid.

I'm not familiar with your remote, but the iPod remote is more than a few switches. I popped the back off of it and found a small circuit board with a tiny Integrated Circuit (IC) chip. The iPod remote has three wires to pass the audio signals through, and two more for the remote functions. When you press a particular button, a certain pin on the IC gets grounded out, and the IC then sends a specific signal to the iPod which then interprets that signal and carries out the function. When you press another button, a different pin gets grounded, and a different signal gets sent to the iPod.

So what I effectively did was replace the iPod remote buttons with the buttons on the handlebars, and left all the remote signal circuitry intact. I was able to find lots of useful info on the 'net for the iPod remote, but I still had to figure a lot of it out myself.

You'll probably have to open up your remote and look inside. If it has only switches inside and a bunch of wires going to the MP3 player, then maybe you can just cut and splice things together. If it has any circuitry and only a couple of wires to the MP3 player, then it gets more complicated.

As for sharing the buttons, I'm not sure. I imagine when in AUX mode, the volume buttons still work. That may be a conflict, or maybe you can just preset the volume on your MP3 player and use the radio to change volume.

What some other folks have done is to make up a Aux cable to get the music into the system, then put the iPod's remote in a convenient location (tank bag, or mounted to the handlebars). This may be a simpler way for you to go. The iPod also has an after market wireless remote than can be mounted anywhere, though I'm not sure if your player has that option.

I hope some of that helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hammick - How did the installation go? I also have a Creative Zen Micro which I'd like to install and control through the handlebars on my '05. Thanks.

Polo

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
polo_169 said:
Hammick - How did the installation go? I also have a Creative Zen Micro which I'd like to install and control through the handlebars on my '05. Thanks.

Polo
I never tried it. I just plan to use the wired remote and put it in a tank bag or velcroe somewhere on the stingray. I have not taken a long trip yet so I really haven't been using the Zen other than at the gym.

Let me know if you figure something out.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Did either of you ever complete this? I just purchased an '05 and have a Zen Micro also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts