BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I removed the lower right side fairing and think I found my oil leak. It is leaking where the clutch (intermediate) housing and the crankshaft cover mate. I removed the intermediate cover when I replaced the clutch and when I replaced it the book said to use sealer on the top half of the housing. It was very specific where and I did as it instructed. However one side of the housing is open and mates with the gasket on the crankshaft cover. There was no instructions on how or what to do with this and I assumed when reinstalled housing it would remate up with the gasket would seal. Unless someone can tell why this is a bad idea I am planning to remove the crankshaft cover and try to find a way to seal it to the housing. If anyone has any experience with this or knows what to do please help.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,061 Posts
This is similar to the cylinder head cover where it's rubber gasket covers the joint at the timing cover. Remove the crank case cover and clean the gasket. Then apply a little silicone seal on the rubber gasket where the intermediate housing joins the crank case (also put some where the timing cover meets the block as well) and re install the cover. This should ensure a good seal.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,061 Posts
That should work fine on the intermediate case. I use something similar on transmission cases, DPM 300, it is blue and gets a little tacky as it dries but does not harden. I would use silicone sealant (just a little dab) on the rubber gasket for the crank case cover for those areas where the intermediate case and the timing cover join the block.

Saw a missed call on the cell today. I have moved to a new building at work and my cell actuall works now! I just wasn't there when you called.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No problem. I was going to talk to you about the leak then decided to post it here so maybe someone else could benefit in the future. I was surprised becasue I really thought it was a rear main seal leak until I got into it. Hopefully, it is just the leak noted. The best part is I can fix it without having to take it all apart again. Thanks for you help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Removed crankshaft cover tonight and found my leak. When I reinstalled the clutch housing I damaged the gasket on the crankshaft cover. Moral to the story is, if you remove the intermediate (clutch) housing make sure you at least loosen the crankshaft cover. Duh Everyone here is probably smarter than me and they would probably know this but I wanted to pass it on. When I replaced the clutch I think I probably screwed up everything that I could when doing this job. If anyone in Cleveland wants to do a clutch on an LT invite me over and I can tell you what not to do! Anyway I think I am almost done. Like I tell my kids, there are a lot of ways to pay tuition it does not all go to colleges!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,061 Posts
Hey you are now an expert as you have already made all the mistakes possible!! Your next one will be a snap!:wave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.