BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed the other day that my trunk latch is cracked in the top right corner.

I've read posts about the repair kit available , but my question is, is this repairable or does it need to be replaced? It still functions properly; no issues closing or locking.

·
Registered
719 Posts
razman10 said:
Just noticed the other day that my trunk latch is cracked in the top right corner.

I've read posts about the repair kit available , but my question is, is this repairable or does it need to be replaced? It still functions properly; no issues closing or locking.

mine did the same thing,,,i took that side pin out...trunk closes fine and no water gets in..this winter i may try to fix it so it dont look broken but i wont put that side pin back in

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
As was already mentioned, you WILL want to remove the pin for the right side latch!!! If you do not, it will eventually not disengage when you go to open the trunk and it will be a bear to get open then! I had the samething happen at CCR and John Z thankfully reminded me to remove the respective pin so as to not get stuck on the way home!

John

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
geeze, the same thing happened to my 03 during the CCR trip. :confused:
All these failing at the same time?

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
I cut both of my pin's down to .130 in diameter where the latch closes on them & it closes nice & easy. I use my top case rack all the time for transporting things and didn't want just one latch holding the top down.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If I had known about this sooner, I would have filed down my own before I got the SAME THING.

I complained about this when I first joined, stating that this is a blatant design flaw. You don't integrate the mechanics of something into the exterior facade, that's stupid and flawed, like this latch design.

I took mine off and didn't bother replacing it. I have a different locking mechanism which is hidden now.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
saddleman said:
I cut both of my pin's down to .130 in diameter where the latch closes on them & it closes nice & easy. I use my top case rack all the time for transporting things and didn't want just one latch holding the top down.
How did you go about this? Using a Dremel, etc.?

My latch on my newly acquired '05 is hard to "latch" - when I found out about the "fix it before it breaks" kit I emailed the person to inquire about obtaining one but never heard back from him.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lenny said:
mine did the same thing,,,i took that side pin out...trunk closes fine and no water gets in..this winter i may try to fix it so it dont look broken but i wont put that side pin back in
Lenny, how did you get it out? Also, this sounds like a temporary solution. How long have you had yours with the pin out?​

AlaskaFish said:
As was already mentioned, you WILL want to remove the pin for the right side latch!!! If you do not, it will eventually not disengage when you go to open the trunk and it will be a bear to get open then! I had the samething happen at CCR and John Z thankfully reminded me to remove the respective pin so as to not get stuck on the way home!

John
How secure is the latch with only one pin?​

saddleman said:
Saddleman, What did cutting the pins down accomplish? Does it not still use the same hinges? Did you reinforce anything in any way?​

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I have ridden around (unaware!) with my trunk latch not even closed and there was no indication of any problem. Unless you are high speed or hit some serious bumps I don't think it will even move. And for a couple of your questions, see below:

"How do you remove the pin?" All you need to do is remove a small Circlip on one end of the respective pin.

"Is it secure with just one pin?" Yes! Especially if you have a rack bag on top of it. We rode from Vermont to here (Portland Oregon) with only one pin. No probs!

I have my order in for the better engineered latch from Evan at
http://www.lttrunklatch.com/.

John

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Dave, some of us don't have a lathe (or the ability to use one if we had one) so I have been trying to think of an alternative to "pin trimming".

What would happen if the original pin was removed and replaced with a similar (or maybe smaller sized) piece of brass wire. The wire, being so much softer than steel, would bend at the point where the arms grab the pins and allow the latch to secure on both sides but with minimal downward pull against the latch.

The brass would bend into the shape of a flying V.

Loren

saddleman said:

·
Registered
719 Posts
gosling1 said:
How did you go about this? Using a Dremel, etc.?

My latch on my newly acquired '05 is hard to "latch" - when I found out about the "fix it before it breaks" kit I emailed the person to inquire about obtaining one but never heard back from him.
take a pin out and see how it closes than try the other side. what ever pin is easier to have in and close with no effert,,leave the other out...yhere will be no ill effects

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mine cracked just before leaving on a cross country trip. LTLATCH.COM came to my rescue in short order. The replacement comes with very clear, easy to understand, instructions. My advice, for what it's worth: replace it!

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
lawretj said:
Mine cracked just before leaving on a cross country trip. LTLATCH.COM came to my rescue in short order. The replacement comes with very clear, easy to understand, instructions. My advice, for what it's worth: replace it!
Ordered mine last week. Hope it comes soon.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
I turned the pin with the most wear down on a lath until the wear marks where gone. That's how I ended up at .130. The reason removing one pin won't work for me is because I use my top rack all the time to haul things as much as 50 or 60 lbs. My LT is my only vehicle. I haul crankshafts & up to 7 sets of connecting rods at a time for work. With only one pin I am worried the top could open up on one corner under hard braking. It sure does close easy with the pins cut down & is still waterproof.

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
If you have a Blue 07 color bike I will sell you the whole top case with the fix it before it breaks kit installed, kicker speakers and all three RKA bag liners for 400 plus shipping!

It is as new.

Shameless Plug!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for everyone's input. :wave

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
I'm sure this has been mentioned, but before you close the latch, push down on the top case to compress the weatherstrip. Makes it easier to close.

By the way, I hardly ever latch mine as the weight seems to be enough to keep it closed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: Cracked Trunk Latch -- problem with lttrunklatch.com order

AlaskaFish said:
I have ridden around (unaware!) with my trunk latch not even closed and there was no indication of any problem. Unless you are high speed or hit some serious bumps I don't think it will even move. And for a couple of your questions, see below:

"How do you remove the pin?" All you need to do is remove a small Circlip on one end of the respective pin.

"Is it secure with just one pin?" Yes! Especially if you have a rack bag on top of it. We rode from Vermont to here (Portland Oregon) with only one pin. No probs!

I have my order in for the better engineered latch from Evan at
http://www.lttrunklatch.com/.

John
John (and others),

Have you had any luck with lttrunklatch.com? I sent in my order 20 days ago and have heard NOTHING back from Evan. I also sent an email about 10 days ago asking what was the status -- no response.

Does anybody know if this guy is honest? Is he still in business? Does he just work on his own schedule? Can I count on getting the latch or should I open a transaction dispute with PayPal (I have only 45 days from the date the order was placed)?

Thanks for any feedback. I certainly hope that Evan is honest and that his repair kit is for real, because I was really looking forward to getting his kit.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
I sent an email to Evan about three weeks ago and he very promptly responded. I had inquired about the "Fix it Before it Breaks" unit; the website states out of stock. Evan said that the machine used to make the units was down and needed repairs but that he would be definitely making additional kits. He stated that it would be at least a couple of months but to keep checking the website. Don't know if this helps but may give you some additional information.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Re: Cracked Trunk Latch -- problem with lttrunklatch.com order

wmac said:
John (and others),

Have you had any luck with lttrunklatch.com? I sent in my order 20 days ago and have heard NOTHING back from Evan. I also sent an email about 10 days ago asking what was the status -- no response.

Does anybody know if this guy is honest? Is he still in business? Does he just work on his own schedule? Can I count on getting the latch or should I open a transaction dispute with PayPal (I have only 45 days from the date the order was placed)?

Thanks for any feedback. I certainly hope that Evan is honest and that his repair kit is for real, because I was really looking forward to getting his kit.
Mr. Carpenter,

I sent you a detailed email on September 29th, and another last Sunday morning, October 10th. Apparently the email address that you used with PayPal during the order process isn't an email address that you frequently use. If you check that email address, there are likely 2 emails from me waiting for you. Machine shold be running late Thursday. I did ship 6 units that I repainted from the Silver-Gold (post 2005) last week. It just KILLED me to repaint them, as I had a lot of work in those 6. But I had clients waiting and repainted all that I had to matte black. Yours was the next on the list, for which I had no inventory. This problem will soon be resolved.

Sorry for the delay!

Best,
Evan Guy

1 - 20 of 38 Posts