BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While changing out my plastic Quick Disconnects for Jiffy-tites on my 2001, I noticed cracks in the plastic near the right mirror attachment below the headlight adjustment knob. (see pics) Has anyone seen this before? Suggestions for a good "fix"? It's not that noticeable, but may get worse over time, so I'd like an idea on how best to repair.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
cb550f said:
While changing out my plastic Quick Disconnects for Jiffy-tites on my 2001, I noticed cracks in the plastic near the right mirror attachment below the headlight adjustment knob. (see pics) Has anyone seen this before? Suggestions for a good "fix"? It's not that noticeable, but may get worse over time, so I'd like an idea on how best to repair.
No I have not seen that exact crack, but similar ones.
This one appears to be easy BUT you must take the panel off the bike, don't cheat!
It appears as if the crack will almost disappear when the stress is removed. Smooth it into place.
Clean the back with some lacquer thinner or ketone.
Rough up the back you just cleaned with some sand paper.
Get some "Marine Tex" gray or white and mix per directions. It will adhere well and is flexible.
Smooth over the inside. Cradle or clamp as needed.
Be Patient, wait over night to reassemble.
Because it is close to the mirror, you should not see the blemish.
When reassembling, try to determine where the stress was coming from and eliminate it.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, sounds like good advice. Is the "Marine Tex" an epoxy compound? Is it readily avalilble at hardware or paint stores or just at Marine supply houses? Appreciate the help! :)

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Doug, I believe your mirror tab bolts are too tight, or not seated correctly, thus causing the crack where it is. You might want to check your other side for a crack there as well. When you do the repair and reinstall, dont tighten quite so much.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
cb550f said:
Thanks, sounds like good advice. Is the "Marine Tex" an epoxy compound? Is it readily avalilble at hardware or paint stores or just at Marine supply houses? Appreciate the help! :)
Go to any Hardware store or West Marine (Boat USA) or local Marine shop. It is a two part epoxee, resin & hardner.

·
Registered
975 Posts
cb550f said:
My '02 has the exact same cracks, both sides. Screws are "hand tight" so not sure why it did what it did....

Let me know how the repair works out.

I've been looking for a replacement (used) dash for a while with no luck. I'll probably just spring for the $$$$$ and get a new one!

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the response/comments folks. I have "factory" overtightness myself I guess since I've never loosened the screws adjacent to the cracks. Now I have to research this site and figure out the easiest way to get that panel off, pick up the epoxy and go to work...:)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Im reviving this thread - to my horror found a similar crack on each side running vertically just off the mirror on the dash. Anyone else experienced this and any quick fix sugestions would be most welcome.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Don't have a quick fix but I do have the same cracks on both sides, as does my fellow LT rider up this way. Mine have been that way for years, and don't seem to be worsening any FYI.

John
ian said:
Im reviving this thread - to my horror found a similar crack on each side running vertically just off the mirror on the dash. Anyone else experienced this and any quick fix sugestions would be most welcome.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Since the tupper ware needs to be stretched a hair to get it lined up and screwed down I figured they just made that piece a little bit small.

One note I have is to reinforce that area on both sides.

Bob

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi all,

I have found similar cracks in the black plastic parts on my 2000 LT. For a quick and tidy fix, I've used BLACK RTV. Open the crack up enough to work some RTV into it, then squeeze the crack closed ( do not squeeze all the material out). Remove excess material and smooth over with a wet finger. Let it cure overnight. RTV cures very hard, matches the plastic, adheres very well and still remains flexible...unlike epoxy putty or brittle fillers.

SC

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Wow! Now this sounds like a great and simple fix! I think I'll go out and do it tonight!

Tks for the idea,

John
wheeliepup said:
Hi all,

I have found similar cracks in the black plastic parts on my 2000 LT. For a quick and tidy fix, I've used BLACK RTV. Open the crack up enough to work some RTV into it, then squeeze the crack closed ( do not squeeze all the material out). Remove excess material and smooth over with a wet finger. Let it cure overnight. RTV cures very hard, matches the plastic, adheres very well and still remains flexible...unlike epoxy putty or brittle fillers.

SC

·
Registered
29 Posts
wheeliepup said:
Hi all,

SC
Thank you and the other for the responses. What exactly is RTV and is it available in various colours as my dash is light silver grey on my 2004 facelift LT.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 02 has the cracks on both sides. I tried used JB Weld but it wouldn't adhere to the plastic. It just peeled right off. I may try the black RTV.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts