BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Returning from the MOA rally, I unavoidably hit a piece of debris that resulted in a 1 1/2" crack of the lower fairing.

I am concerned that the crack may gradually expand.

May I have your thoughts about how I next proceed:

-- do I try gluing, say with JB Weld?

-- do I have the crack plastic welded (assuming that the plastic can be welded)?

-- do I replace the panel? (ouch $$$$)?

-- do I stop obsessing and simply "ride it like it were paid off"?

Thanks for your input.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
650 Posts
Unless it looks really bad I say "JB it"!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,949 Posts
Drill them thar holes!

Drill some small holes at either end of the crack to limit additional travel. Then JB to fill & finish
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,900 Posts
The plastic is SMC (same thing Corvettes are made from). The BEST way to repair it is to use a product made by SEM, called "Problem Plastic Repair". You can get this product at any auto paint supply store. Just follow the directions on the package and it will look good and be very durable. I wouldn't ever use JB weld for a repair like that because JB cures very hard and would probably crack. Don't get me wrong, I love JB weld and use it for tons of things, but not for something like your repair.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,549 Posts
Red Green special:
twin tube epoxy and duct tape.

Lay down the epoxy, press the duct tape into it.

Seems as if we need two layers of tape now--they don't make duct tape like they used to.

When it set up, cheap fiberglass.

Bob
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,431 Posts
Morley said:
The plastic is SMC (same thing Corvettes are made from). The BEST way to repair it is to use a product made by SEM, called "Problem Plastic Repair". You can get this product at any auto paint supply store. Just follow the directions on the package and it will look good and be very durable. I wouldn't ever use JB weld for a repair like that because JB cures very hard and would probably crack. Don't get me wrong, I love JB weld and use it for tons of things, but not for something like your repair.
You're kidding me!

I worked at an OEM SMC molder for 5 years and I had no idea the LT fairings were SMC molded. I just assumed they were a real hefty ABS part.

That definitely explains the strength of these panels.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Nebish said:
Returning from the MOA rally, I unavoidably hit a piece of debris that resulted in a 1 1/2" crack of the lower fairing.

I am concerned that the crack may gradually expand.

May I have your thoughts about how I next proceed:

-- do I try gluing, say with JB Weld?

-- do I have the crack plastic welded (assuming that the plastic can be welded)?

-- do I replace the panel? (ouch $$$$)?

-- do I stop obsessing and simply "ride it like it were paid off"?

Thanks for your input.
inside each piece of the tupper wear you can find letters stamped,.ie PVCTP or other letters, this tells you what the part is made of, you can find out what the letters mean with a google search. A plastic welder does a fair job but you have to be careful not to burn the paint. If the crack/split edges do not line up without applying pressure to line them up then heat gun it till they do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
Ever heard of 3M-5200 ?

This stuff will stick better than crap to a baby blanket, is somewhat flexible, and impervious to pretty much any chemical you can throw at it.

It is used mostly for marine applications, mostly for thru-hull fittings and hard sealing problems.

You dont have to mix it up like epoxies, and it comes in a tube. ACE hardware has it, among other big box home stores. It aint cheap, 15 bucks a tube, but for a small toothpaste size, it's around 7 bucks.

I think the tensile strength is 5200 PSI, hence the product name.

HTH

:bmw:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
Yo

BecketMa said:
Red Green special:
twin tube epoxy and duct tape.

Lay down the epoxy, press the duct tape into it.

Seems as if we need two layers of tape now--they don't make duct tape like they used to.

When it set up, cheap fiberglass.

Bob
You know your a readneck when.......
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top