BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been posted before, but I am not sure if anyone documented a way to repair it.

If you hit a bump and hear the front tire rub the fender, it is very possible that your pre 2005 LT fender is cracked..

The photos attached show the "bondo" brand bumper epoxy the I acquired at Autozone for about $6. The kit included some mesh screen and a rubber pad to apply the epoxy.

Sand and clean the crack and surrounding area with alcohol and allow it to dry thoroughly. apply a thin coat of the epoxy and then lay the mesh in place. Be sure to cut the mesh to clear the bolt hole area. Hold the mesh in place as it tacks up which takes about 6 minutes. Mix another batch of epoxy and coat over the mesh.

I did not get a picture after the last coat of epoxy, but just enough to cover the mesh should do the trick.

Now...go wiggle your fenders and see if you need this fix.

Ron

Attachments

·
Registered
432 Posts
Nice repair job! But that must have been a helluva bump!!! Did the mirrors stay on?

·
IBR# 366
16,560 Posts
Excellent info, thanks. I have the exact same problem that needs addressing. I was thinking more along the lines of ABS plastic cement, but this should work, too. :)

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
meese said:
Excellent info, thanks. I have the exact same problem that needs addressing. I was thinking more along the lines of ABS plastic cement, but this should work, too. :)
This bumper epoxy is the same as the abs epoxy that a body shop sold me years ago. It is made for flexible plastics. You can also use it to repair the scratches under the tip over bar covers...sand them some and apply a thin coat...re-sand and paint flat black....look like new. Don't ask me how I know or how many times I have done that.

Ron

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Buck said:
Nice repair job! But that must have been a helluva bump!!! Did the mirrors stay on?
Actually I have never had a mirror bumped off of this bike. It does have 72K miles of normal bouncing. I think we might know why the front fender was redesigned for the 05.

Ron

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Ron,
Just took your ex-83 over a huge pot hole (I was looking for the snap-on guy who said he would be in that area), and didn't even get a hint of it till I went over it. Popped both mirrors and cracked the repair on the front fender.
I just watched a youtube of a guy dremelling a "U" along a crack on both sides of a fairing and filling with some kind of 2 chemical stuff called plastifix. This is the link if anyone is interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4RECGjEOnE
I think I'll give that method a try and see how long that lasts.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Plastifix works, used it to repair the hinge fixing point on my topbox.

·
Registered
596 Posts
If the fender is made of ABS then the only thing that will bond it is ABS cement.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
MountianMama said:
If the fender is made of ABS then the only thing that will bond it is ABS cement.
Mine seems to be holding (about two years). I used fiberglass & resin - the same way we used to repair our surfboards. Cleaned the underside thoroughly, scored it lightly with sand paper, and placed a few criss-crossed layers of fiberglass... Voila!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I took my front fender off a couple weeks back when I noticed it was cracked. I was about to try JB PlasticWeld, but happened to see that Kirk Johnson recently posted a new video about the repair:

I haven't fiberglassed anything in about 30 years, but figured I'd give it a go. I picked up this fiberglass kit from Ace Hardware for about $25. I comes with 8 ounces of resin. I only needed 2 ounces to do the job.

I basically just reinforced the underside that you don't see anyway. I isn't a pretty job, but it should work. I will drill out the holes tomorrow and reattach it.

-Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
I repaired mine years ago with silicone. A bead along the fracture on the visible, outside of the fender. And a big area on the underside of the fender. I bang along dirt and gravel roads, and the stress is significant over time. Not the occasional pothole, but sustained turbulence.

The silicone (Goop or similar product) has held up well. Quick and easy.

Close inspection of the repair might offend the cosmetically conscious, but it isn't an obtrusive appearing repair.

(I do need to rebuild my Olins...:)

Addendum: Because none of the repair materials will form a great bond with the "Tupperware" plastic, increasing mechanical retention is not a bad idea. Here's an old post with a method to prep the surfaces to be bonded whether using epoxy, silicone, or what ever; hold the knife at an angle to create undercuts with a utility knife for added mechanical retention. Last paragraph and pic in post #4 of this thread: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/60159-huge-problem-front-fender-2004-model-k1200lt.html#post524764

Actually, that whole thread is probably good reading for anyone undertaking a fender repair.

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
I repaired mine years ago with silicone. A bead along the fracture on the visible, outside of the fender. And a big area on the underside of the fender. I bang along dirt and gravel roads, and the stress is significant over time. Not the occasional pothole, but sustained turbulence.

The silicone (Goop or similar product) has held up well. Quick and easy.

Close inspection of the repair might offend the cosmetically conscious, but it isn't an obtrusive appearing repair.

(I do need to rebuild my Olins...:)

Addendum: Because none of the repair materials will form a great bond with the "Tupperware" plastic, increasing mechanical retention is not a bad idea. Here's an old post with a method to prep the surfaces to be bonded whether using epoxy, silicone, or what ever; hold the knife at an angle to create undercuts with a utility knife for added mechanical retention. Last paragraph and pic in post #4 of this thread: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/60159-huge-problem-front-fender-2004-model-k1200lt.html#post524764

Actually, that whole thread is probably good reading for anyone undertaking a fender repair.
I bought Wilber's because I could not even pronounce Ohlins correctly! :grin:

Isn't the fender ABS like the mirrors? If it is, plumber's ABS cement works great.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The fender appears to be one of the areas I may reinforce before it breaks. Nice to know these things as this 2004 will be my first LT.

George

1 - 13 of 13 Posts