BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one have experience with a cracked exhaust on a 2003 LT? I had to replace the original exhaust after only 4000 miles. Now that one is is cracked. Suggestions

·
Registered
531 Posts
Just to relay my experience, I had the cracked header replaced under warrenty around 18k miles (02 LTC). I think it was due to MI roads and stock shocks slamming the bike, the mirrors coming loose, etc. Ohlins solved those problems.

I'd lean toward the binding problem/possibility with 4k between cracks though.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Have your mechanic look closely at the exhaust manifold mounting surface as he bolts up the exhaust. It's possible the issue is caused by an irregularity in the exhaust manifold where it doesn't mate flat against the exhaust header. It's the same problem that causes a lot of cracked heads on cars. Both surfaces aren't flat and this causes the exhaust manifold to be under constant stress. The expansion and contraction from heat eventually take their toll and the weakest point cracks. I don't know if this has ever been a problem with BMW cycles but it is common in passenger cars.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
mz0927 said:
Any one have experience with a cracked exhaust on a 2003 LT? I had to replace the original exhaust after only 4000 miles. Now that one is is cracked. Suggestions
Obviously something wrong, demand the dealer figure out what, fix it and replace exhaust.

This is similar to FD failures, you hear about it happening much too often and hope it does not happen to you. I have picked up a spare of both for my 02 and have not needed them in 68K.

It can be rewelded.

·
Registered
531 Posts
By the way, a month ago I was returning from NM and thought I lost a cylinder.

Turns out, the two front header bolts broke off in the head.

Runs like new again, amazing how bad that thing runs with a huge exhaust leak, lots of valve noise.

It's an 02 LTC, had about 122-3k when the header bolts went.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Decided to go airbourne one day on the Fat Girl. Came down hard and cracked the exhaust just behind the converter. After pricing a replacement I took it down to a local welding shop. It's been good ever since. I approach that particular intersection slower now. The Fat Girl does not like doing aerial stunts.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
My OEM header cracked in a place that I couldn't get at to weld.
I bought a Remus and the material on the Remus is about twice as thick............
50,000 miles ago..........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts