BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed as I was closing up my 48K service that my exhaust was cracked at the muffler connection point as well as the splice strap in that area. The crack was about 3 inches long. I decided to pull the exhaust when doing my next service.

The 54K was done last week and I had the exhaust and strap welded. The crack had propagated to about 12" or 80% of the circumference of the collector, just about ready to fall apart.

My welder did a fine job on the repair and the bike sounds and feels like a new bike. The loose exhaust was quite loud and vibrations much worse.

So, my question is, if the point of this repair is now stronger, those that have had the muffler connection point rewelded, have you seen breakage occur elsewhere? If so, where has the next point of failure occurred? There is still a lot of localized vibration from the cat to the exhaust exit. I do have that center hanger installed.

Thanks,

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
My 02 LT did this with about 36K on the ODO and the tig weld lasted until I sold her with over 50K. They all seem to crack in that same location.

·
Registered
14,452 Posts
Hi, John -

In my 'hood, there have been three or four exhaust units that have cracked and been re-welded and no further issues. I've got 5 exhaust systems in my storage shed and two of 'em have been welded at that same area. Must be some terrific stress points, that when combined with heat, create a failure area. I talked with a coupla BMW techies and each one of 'em said that the fixed area won't crater again, and that they've not seen other stressed/broken areas in their experience.

BTW - ole Toad has never had the exhaust hanger thangie, fwtw.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts