BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Really not much different comparing that kit on any of the model years. I've installed two so far, and I think it's a great product and upgrade. FWIW, I have three more to install within the next 4 weeks. (You're a little too far away . . . sorry.) :D

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Joe,
Any chance of you taking a weekend ride up to CT around 6/3? ;) We could do HID/PIAA/Inside the cowl lights, and then head out for some seafood (My treat for you and Lzyellodog of course! ) and a nice ride along the shoreline and the CT river valley area. You could give that GPS a workout :p

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
KMC1 said:
Joe,
Any chance of you taking a weekend ride up to CT around 6/3? ;) We could do HID/PIAA/Inside the cowl lights, and then head out for some seafood (My treat for you and Lzyellodog of course! ) and a nice ride along the shoreline and the CT river valley area. You could give that GPS a workout :p
Aw jeez! Don't tempt me! Especially with good, FREE seafood! I'm dyin' over here!!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Locations for Igniter and Ballast?

Where is the recommended placement for the igniter and ballast? I would love to avoid removing the tupperware and nose cone, if possible - seeing as I had the tupperware off three times in the last week... don't ask...

OB

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
atps1234 said:
Where is the recommended placement for the igniter and ballast?
You can simply zip-tie them to the frame rails that are kinda behing the headlight assembly. 2 or 3 zip-ties, and they're fine. Someday when you have the nosecone off, you could always mount them on top of the headlight assembly then.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Car kit for M/C Money?

OK I got my CQlight.ca H7 5000K motorcycle kit today - only it's not a motorcycle kit, it's a car kit! Two complete H7 assemblies, for the price of one! Anyone else get this?

OB

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
atps1234 said:
OK I got my CQlight.ca H7 5000K motorcycle kit today - only it's not a motorcycle kit, it's a car kit! Two complete H7 assemblies, for the price of one! Anyone else get this?

OB
$40?!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I will buy

I bid $55.00 !!

:)

atps1234 said:

OB

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not for sale - yet...

Not looking to sell the extra set yet. If all goes well, I will put it up for sale. But weird, huh? They must have been out of the single kits? I did notice that it was taking longer than most said for the lights to come... almost a week after the order.

OB

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No relay?

So after looking at one of the CQlight.ca H7 assemblies, it appears that installation consists of taking the existing H7 leads, running them out to the HID ballast/igniter, and then running the new wires and bulb back into the headlight assembly - no relay? Is the existing wiring OK to handle the load from the new HID lamp?

OB

·
Registered
2 Posts
R1200rt

atps1234 said:

OB
I just put in the same HID H7 5000K "car" kit on my RT. $215 with shipping for both. I powered them off the stock wiring, no bulb out warnings or any problems so far.

·
Cat Herder
5,852 Posts
atps1234 said:
So after looking at one of the CQlight.ca H7 assemblies, it appears that installation consists of taking the existing H7 leads, running them out to the HID ballast/igniter, and then running the new wires and bulb back into the headlight assembly - no relay? Is the existing wiring OK to handle the load from the new HID lamp?

OB
Yes, the existing wiring is MORE than adequate for the HID lights. Keep in mind that the HID lights use LESS electricity, and hence there is no reason why the existing wiring (which is for a 55W bulb instead of the 35W of the HID) should not work.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
atps1234 said:

OB
As andy has already stated, the HID kit only requires 35 watts, compared to the OEM's bulb which required 55. Truth be told, there's plenty of room for argument that the stock wiring was NOT beefy enough for the halogen lamps.

I, however, did run my own power source (from a fuse block under the nose cone), along with a relay and AutoSwitch for my HID low-beam. The OEM H7 connector was untoughed in my installation. But then again, I'm anal and a control freak! :)

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Renzo said:
fair is fair OK
For the record...I was just joking with you Renzo. I have no interest in another HID kit at the moment. If I was to install one on my Ninja, I would need to buy a different kit (Hi/Low beam type).

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Like a CHARM!

Hey folks,

Completed the HID low beam (H7) install this weekend on my '05. I used the "Joe Special" method, and it worked like a charm! One thing I was SUPER impressed with, was that my "new" beam pattern was identical to the pattern of the original low beam! The pictures attached show my original low beam pattern, which I traced on a box for aiming purposes of the new light. To my amazement, when I powered up the HID low beam, it matched almost exactly - just a hair lower! IMG_2361_web.jpg is the original low beam pattern. IMG_2365_web.jpg is the new HID low beam.

This upgrade was about as painless as it gets, didn't have to remove any body panels, just remove the cover, drill the hole in for the HID bulb cables, notch out a slot in the side of the cover for the original cable to exit, install new bulb and cables, and tie wrap everything up nice and neat!

I have other pics from the install if anyone is interested.

OB

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts