BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I installed my H7 & H11 HID lighting kit from CQLight today. Went pretty smooth & IMO is a decent kit.
I ordered online on a Thursday morning with Paypal and got the kit on Monday. That's from Ca to NJ using USPS, not bad.
The kit contains everything you need except velcro, which Home Depot has. I needed no mods on the existing setup except of the drilling in the lo beam cover and was able to hide all the wiring, ballasts & igniters with little problem. If you do both lights I strongly suggest stripping the tupperware like Raffy states. I tried it the other way and you just can't get into the nose assembly like you need to. I haven't had the bike out yet but just from what I can see it's a HUGE difference.
Here is a photo of my setup, complete with Piaa 1100's. Ain't no missing my bike now!

****The picture gets a little crushed on this site, but if you right click on the picture and copy the address in the properties to a new window it shows the original****

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Now that's some light !!

Yeah buddy,,,

Good Job

Spence

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is the 5000k set. I had to get used to them but now that I am I wish my car had them also. Maybe next year?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ed,
Curious to find out if you are still a satisfied customer with your CQLight purchase. Have you had a chance to get any night riding in since your install?

Anyone else out there install the CQLight HID kit?

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a Hi/Low kit for my 2004 LT. CQLight will charge $195 plus $18 shipping for both the H7 and H3 set up. Curious if there is any additional feedback before I make the purchase. Thanks.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Portguyofva said:
Ed,
Curious to find out if you are still a satisfied customer with your CQLight purchase. Have you had a chance to get any night riding in since your install?
Most definitely satisfied. I work nights so I was using them every night when I commuted with the bike.
The greatest advantage is anything reflective. You can read a street sign from 1/4 mile it seems and deer eyes glisten easily giving you a ton of time to react if you need. I haven't had anyone flash me on the lo beam but at the times some sucker just can't find the energy to reach up & turn off their hi beams, when I flash them they pay attention now :thumb:

·
Registered
88 Posts
edonthenet said:
Most definitely satisfied. I work nights so I was using them every night when I commuted with the bike.
The greatest advantage is anything reflective. You can read a street sign from 1/4 mile it seems and deer eyes glisten easily giving you a ton of time to react if you need. I haven't had anyone flash me on the lo beam but at the times some sucker just can't find the energy to reach up & turn off their hi beams, when I flash them they pay attention now :thumb:
Thank you Ed,
I'm placing my order with CQ tomorrow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Any delay when you switch high to low?

edonthenet said:
There has been talk on the K1200RS site of not changing both high and low because of the time it takes for the HIDs to light do you notice this?
I am thinking of getting this setup for my bike.
Thank You!

·
IBR# 366
16,533 Posts
Some people were concerned about that, but the delay is pretty short so unless you're trying to flash someone there shouldn't be a problem. I didn't go HID high beam because I wanted a headlight modulator instead. That's much more useable in city traffic, and for high beam you can always just get good quality external driving lights.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bmwriders said:
There has been talk on the K1200RS site of not changing both high and low because of the time it takes for the HIDs to light do you notice this?
As meese stated there is a delay as the bulb is ignited, but it is hardly of concern. The bulb comes up immediately but is dim in comparison to the lo beam. But in < 1 sec you have usable light coming from the hi beam. I have the hi beam set pretty much to level with the bike, so it seems like infinite light coming from the hi beam, on my 05. I guess it has to do with the smaller lens are of the hi beam.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
I have both low and high. When I flip the switch to high beam it takes just a little over a second to come up to power. If I just reach down and hit the monentary side of the switch, it lights up immediately.

JM2CW

·
Registered
88 Posts
Steve_R said:
I have both low and high. When I flip the switch to high beam it takes just a little over a second to come up to power. If I just reach down and hit the monentary side of the switch, it lights up immediately.

JM2CW
Steve,
You lost me. What do you mean by the "monetary" side of the switch.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Portguyofva said:
Steve,
You lost me. What do you mean by the "monetary" side of the switch.
Thanks
He didn't mean "monetary" (or "monentary" for that matter) he meant "momentary". That's the lower half of the high beam rocker switch you can use to flash your high beams.

Cheers!

·
Registered
88 Posts
ltcommuter said:
He didn't mean "monetary" (or "monentary" for that matter) he meant "momentary". That's the lower half of the high beam rocker switch you can use to flash your high beams.

Cheers!
Thank you Bob!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts