BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I NEED to upgrade to HID. The price for the HID-on-line hi & low kits seem to be dble that of CQ. Are they that much better? Are they easier to install?
I don't mind paying the extra $$ if there is some justification.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Unfortunately, In this case there doesn't seem to be any significant quality differences between the expensive kit and the less expensive CQ kit..
They deliver to your door in like 48 hours....The only real difference is that the CQ kit has separate igniters instead of it all being in one box.....Mine works just fine....
So far...........Only time will really tell.....

John

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jpspen said:
Unfortunately, In this case there doesn't seem to be any significant quality differences between the expensive kit and the less expensive CQ kit..
They deliver to your door in like 48 hours....The only real difference is that the CQ kit has separate igniters instead of it all being in one box.....Mine works just fine....
So far...........Only time will really tell.....

John
Although there seems to be many positive posts on the CQ option, I ordered the hi/low kit from HID-online. It seems like a proven product both in quality & installation. There's just gotta be a difference for that kind of $$
And yes.....Only time will tell.

·
Registered
42 Posts
HID Options

I used the HID Online kit for my LT (low beam ) and love it. I put the CQ kit on my Explorer Sport Trac.
The HID Online kit is all Philips parts and of better quality. They also offer the 4200K color which looks much whiter and brighter.
The CQ kit only offers 5000 k
as their lowest color. It looks much bluer to me. The CQ kit seems to be of lower quality and not 'name" brand . It dosn't use a relay and has seprate igniter. I don't think that a relay is necessary for excessive amp draw but it will isolate the ballast so a short wont cause a fire.
I must say that all this said, I havent had any problems with my CQ kit and would use them again for my cages.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
jpspen said:
....The only real difference is that the CQ kit has separate igniters instead of it all being in one box.....
John
Which is a PLUS when installing on something like the LT, with limited spaces under the fairings to put thing. The ignitor, which has to be close to the bulb, is small and easy to position somewhere under the nose cowling. The ballast then can be put anywhere on the bike. There is room for the one piece ballast though, as many of us have use them, but if putting in both high and low HID ballast room becomes premium.

I had HID driving lights under my mirrors, and they were the type with the ignitor on the back of the bulb, with the ballast wired with normal wiring. It would have been MUCH harder to do that with one piece ballast assemblies.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understood the Online kit to be assembled specifically for the Lt. Meaning that the components used would fit the application. As a matter of fact, I think I recall someone saying that Raffey had some input into the design. Maybe I read wrong, or read to much into it??

Anyway... I'm sure it will work out fine. I just feel more comfortable with the Online kit overall, despite the higher cost.
I will let you know if I am disappointed.

I do appreciate your input.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have no experience with CQ but have both Hi and Lo HID kits in my 05 from HID-Online. Everything was made to fit and of top quality. I am very satisfied with the 30k miles or so of use so far. Both ballasts fit in the nose cone above the light housing.

My Low beam HID light pattern was off a bit (according to the engineers the bulb had a problem with the geometric placement of light) giving me a strange light pattern to the right of my bike. HID-Online backed the product and sent me a new bulb that works correctly. First rate customer service.

HID online engineers also responded to an inquiry I made of them when I asked about a non-relay wiring harness. Here is, in part, their response.

"...we would never recommend wiring any HID system directly so would always recommend a wiring harness with relay and fuse for 2 very important reasons, 1. to protect your wiring because your vehicle is not designed to cope with the 23KV strike current of the HID and without protecting it and running a safe system you potentially risk melting the switching at best and at worst causing a fire."

I think you will be very satisfied with the kit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts