BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEy guys, I've been visiting but not posting much of late. No time to ride or post. At any rate, my minivan is trying to crap out on me, so I thought I'd ride the bike. Well, the low beam CQ HID I put in a year or two back is not working. IT will come on when I turn on the switch, but goes out pretty quick. WHat is the problem? BAllast going bad or gone? Can I replace (buy) that easily (locally) or does it have to be part of a matched set from CQ?

I apologize for asking a lighting question in the LT section, but I figured I'd get a bigger audience.

Thanks for any help.
Randy

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
REally? It would light and then go out? And it was the bulb?

Well, that doesn't help eliminate anything... durn it. But thanks

Randy

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IS that a bulb I can buy at Auto Zone or Advance? Or does it have to come from CQ? I'm looking at it and ca't for the life of me, remember how I puth ge wires and grommet in there. How does the wire for hte bulb come out? ANd so on....

randy

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
You are going to have to get a replacement bulb from cqlight. I would suggest you buy a spare while you are at it.
I went through the same thing a while back, bulb would come on and then go out shortly afterward, changed out the bulb and all is well again.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Very likely lamp, but you can get it elsewhere

+1 on the lamp being most likely at fault. Here is the science primer: the lamp contains Xenon gas and metal salts. The igniter/ballast combo applies many thousands volts to strike an arc inside the lamp.

Once ignited, the arc evaporates the metal salts which "glow", emitting the bright light. A particular voltage is required to maintain the xenon/metal plasma. An old or faulty tube requires higher voltage than provided and thus the arc will extinguish.

You have very likely seen this phenomenon elsewhere: sodium or mercury-vapor street lights cycling on and off. "Dumb" ballasts (magnetics only) will cycle forever, smart (with an electronic controller) will detect cycling and stop until next power-up.

Now, regarding replacement: there is no standard and compatibility between brands is not guaranteed. Hover, it appears to me that all these retrofit kits, sold stateside under various brands, are made by the same Chinese manufacturer.

For example, I have four CQ Lights kits on my bikes (H7 low beams and H3 fog lamps), a two-lamp VVME H11 kit in my truck and just recently I received an DDM Tuning single-H7 kit. They all have the same style connectors.

The slim-style ballasts on CQ and DMM kits appear identical and all the connectors match. This means that you have more sources for getting a replacement.

Having said that, the whole H7 kit from DDM cost me about $30 shipped by Priority Mail. Meaning, just buy the whole set - save the old ballast for emergencies. Check out:
motorcycle kit from DDM

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,257 Posts
Thanks for listing DMM as I just got a dual kit for the GS for $35.00 + shipping. The prices have really dropped. Probably should have bought a spare set as well.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
rando said:
IS that a bulb I can buy at Auto Zone or Advance? Or does it have to come from CQ? I'm looking at it and ca't for the life of me, remember how I puth ge wires and grommet in there. How does the wire for hte bulb come out? ANd so on....

randy
I bought my spare bulbs at Advanced Auto Parts.

·
Registered
65 Posts
jzeiler said:
Thanks for listing DMM as I just got a dual kit for the GS for $35.00 + shipping. The prices have really dropped. Probably should have bought a spare set as well.
Really dropped indeed. I paid DDM $58 for a single H& kit last fall.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I found when encountering this similar problem that the ground up under the nose cone was the culprit. Some have re-routed the ground back to the battery to fix.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
CQ will likely replace the bulb under warranty. I know DDM warranties the lamps forever. Might not be a bad idea to order a replacement lamp to have a spare on hand.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies. I needed a bulb quick, so went back to a halogen stock bulb. I'll regret it if I'm out after dark. However, that is not likely in the near future with things as they are now. : (

Thanks again
Randy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts