BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started the bike up to get it tested (we have to have annual 'MOT' tests in the UK)
The HID is flickering, but not firing up. Flickers for 3-5- seconds but won't light!
Anything I can do to get it going?
Anyone had this?

·
Registered
989 Posts
It could be:

- low system voltage. Make sure that the battery is fully charged; lights come on right after cranking when the voltage is lowest - HID ballasts do not like that.

- bad bulb or ignitor. Unfortunately, no easy fix here. You can buy just the H7 xenon to check it out, but it is a gamble; with kit prices below $100 (in the 80's on eBay) I'd get a whole new one to experiment.

If you still have the original H7 bulb, temporarily reinstall to get through the inspection while you wait for parts. I assume that you wired it as per instructions, not cutting off the original connector.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like the idea of putting the old bulb back in for now
www.hid-light.com seems to have stopped selling them.
I can see many good deals on ebay for H& 5000 bulbs, but is there a way of telling if these kits use 35w 55w or 100w?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Robert covered the issue fairly well. Another point is be sure to disconnect power to your balast. They don't like trying to fire a bad or missing bulb, damage will occur. If you're tossing the whole thing no big issue but something to consider.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts