BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup, it's really annoying having that darn free-floating rear rotor making all that noise. Time to check all the specs on pads and rotor and if they are ok then I'm going to put Hi-Temp RTV around all the rivets and bleed hydraulics. (I really hate all the brick roads around here!)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
+1 on the EBC rotor. Simple fix... priceless.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I might just do as sugested and buy new EBC rotor and pads "but" after doing a web search I can't find anyone that sells for my bike. Anyone know who's got a good deal on the set? (I really did'nt think I was a computer challanged idiot!) (Who would have known!)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RonHolly said:
I might just do as sugested and buy new EBC rotor and pads "but" after doing a web search I can't find anyone that sells for my bike. Anyone know who's got a good deal on the set? (I really did'nt think I was a computer challanged idiot!) (Who would have known!)
Someone out there "has" to know where I can buy them. Share the secret!

·
Registered
470 Posts
My EBC rotor only lasted 20k mi. before it started coming apart and hitting the inside of the caliper. Won't go there again unless they have up-dated their product...

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
RonHolly said:
Someone out there "has" to know where I can buy them. Share the secret!
Amazon.com

·
Registered
438 Posts
I used fire wall sealant (aircraft stuff) around the rivets and the gaps between the rotor & the mounting plate. I had the rotor removed from the wheel to do this. I layed the rotor flat on the bench, so it would stay centered while the goop cured.
installed EBC metallic pads & bedded them in (info about bedding brakes on this forum somewhere). Brakes work good, no noise...brake dust still collects on the wheel, tho not as much.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,916 Posts
Motomadman said:
My EBC rotor only lasted 20k mi. before it started coming apart and hitting the inside of the caliper. Won't go there again unless they have up-dated their product...
Must have gotten a bad one as I have a used one that I installed 25K ago and it is just fine. Probably has about 30K on it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Opinion time! Which would be the better rotor. The one with spokes is the EBC Pro-Lite ($140) and the other is EBC solid center ($185). I guess I'm asking for performance rather price comparison. Seems like the solid center would be more durable. Anyone used either and have an opinion?

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,916 Posts
You need the one with the solid center so you have a place to put your ABS sensor ring. You will remove it from your old rotor and install it on the EBC.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I fixed the cowbell on both my 2001 and 1999 LTs by removing the wheel, taking off the rotor, and applying "shoe goo" to the rivets. Does not hamper braking efficiency and eliminates the noise. Lasts thousands of miles. Cost is under $3.00. Got the idea from this site.

Attachments

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Started installing the new rotor and pads today. Slowly pryed the ABS ring off and don't know if I have a problem or not. The ABS ring falls right on the new rotor. Is this normal? Do the three new screws keep it from turning on the rotor center housing once installed? If anyone knows, I'm standing by my computer before continuing. Thanks

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,916 Posts
Yes they will hold it just fine. It is not under any rotational stress other than from it's mass.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
jzeiler said:
Yes they will hold it just fine. It is not under any rotational stress other than from it's mass.
Thanks JZieler. I got impatient and went ahead without waiting for replies. That's what I kinda figured and went ahead and reassembled everything and it works "Great!" Drive over some brick roads and quite as a mouse. No more "Cowbells Ding-Dong Song." Made sure the ring did'nt hit the sensor by rotating by hand. Made a slight adjustment on the caliper bolts so I did'nt have a very "slight" rub on the sendsor. Thanks to all for your help! (Once again)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts