BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cover Me - I'm Going In!.......Part Deux!!!!!!!

Went and picked up the lift today. (Much thanks to dougholck for lending his! :wave ) Got back home about 11AM. It has to be said, getting an LT up on a lift with a broken transmission, is fun for all ages. Only took the better part of an hour. Oh, did I mention this was done with out foot pegs? Took those off to get at the 30MM and 14MM bolts to the swing arm. An impact wrench, heat gun and still more muscle was all it took. What you see here was done in 2 hours. Found a new best friend... a mini cordless impact wrench! Makes me almost smile when I was taking Barbara apart....

Thanks as well to Raffyk, grifscoots, and jzeiler for your wisdom!

More to follow!

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,251 Posts
Looking good Hoss!

I received the parts today including the Viton o-ring from TheDude. The metal parts of the clutch were really not worn bad enough to replace (at 50K) but I have the new stuff anyway so in it will go. Spent this evening doing clean up of throttle bodies and the bell housing area so it will be nice and clean when she goes back together tomorrow. I'll pull the housing off and replace the rear main seal then start putting it all back together.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Nice looking job Shoswell. Everything looks like it is "under control". As a firm believer in lifts (old and fat) how much help has the lift been for you?

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wa1200lt said:
Nice looking job Shoswell. Everything looks like it is "under control". As a firm believer in lifts (old and fat) how much help has the lift been for you?
The best money (not) spent! I will however be on the look out for a good price on a new/used one. As it turns out its a life saver/ back protector. In my case I did not have to bend over (I'm 6'5) nor did I have to get up for that tool that I left on the bench. Normally when I turn wrenches by the end I am frazzled, can't keep track of where I placed (whatever) with the lift everything was laid out where I could see it with out siting up, Almost had most of my tools. And to add to the luxury I sat in a chair!!! Definitely even if you do most or some maint, a table lift is the way to go!!!

That said got to tear into the belly of the best. I did my homework and everything went without a hitch (except forgetting one transmission bolt! :mad: ) I took some short cuts as well. Like removing the entire swing arm, final drive in one piece. Did not remove the airbox or radiators (guide bolts helped in this) All total I have about 10 hours invested, took it slow and steady (the wife likes me that way!) :D :histerica

Attachments

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Now all you need for your garage is air conditioning and DirectTV for those Sat. college and Sunday NFL football games.

I bought one of those drive on wheel lock thingeys from Harbor Freight. It is VERY difficult to clamp the front wheel down when you are alone and trying to keep the thing from tipping over to the side. Now just ride it up on the ramp into the front wheel hold down and once it goes over center it stands on it's own. I do have to have help to get it off the ramp. Someone has to push from the front of the bike till the hold down falls back. Reverse is not strong enough to break the stand back over without assistance.

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,251 Posts
Well all is fine with the clutch. She releases just fine. Now to finish putting all the bits back together. I just won't be able to rider just yet as I discovered a frayed throttle cable today (to bad I didn't find it yesterday when I had to make the trip to the dealer). Might as well leave that area apart.

Did I mention I love this bike.

One tip I use when installing nuts and bolts in hard to reach places (Grounds and Alternator nut). I take a small dab of modeling clay and use that to hold it in the socket. Not nearly as messy as chewing gum:) .

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jzeiler said:
One tip I use when installing nuts and bolts in hard to reach places (Grounds and Alternator nut). I take a small dab of modeling clay and use that to hold it in the socket. Not nearly as messy as chewing gum:) .
Funny, I was just cleaning the garage (waiting on parts) and was thinking how the hell I was going to get the Alt nut back on! Its like we are brothers, Where was your father in the 70's! :D

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tink....I had a pro-blemooooo..... :D

Attachments

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
shoswell said:
I tink....I had a pro-blemooooo..... :D
Yep-er on the pro-blemooooo. What was it that made you dig into the trans. as well as the clutch job?. :wave

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
grifscoots said:
Been awhile since I've seen that one nekid!
Don't get jeolous! You moved on to a younger one, "Barbara" just likes younger ones too! :D
saddleman said:
Yep-er on the pro-blemooooo. What was it that made you dig into the trans. as well as the clutch job?.
What I need a reason? I thought this was part of the 24K maintenance? Don't tell me its not, the guys I bought the scooter from sold me a bridge too....I think I've been had :brick:

Besides not being able to shift gears, the sounds of metal on metal "chunks" coming from the Gear Box, nothing! The clutch. As everyone will tell you, is simply because I was "in there". I am opting not to replace the main seal as its deeper than I HAVE to go. Leaving clutch nut forward on. There are no signs of it leaking so the PO must have done something right.!!!

I am curious about the silicone job around the neutral indicator. What happened here...? :confused:

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,251 Posts
shoswell said:
I am curious about the silicone job around the neutral indicator. What happened here...? :confused:
Looks like it got hit with something and the PO just filled it in.

Mine is all back together except for access to replace the throttle cables. Hope Chicago has them in stock.

I put the drive shaft on first and had paint marks on it for phasing. The thing that made the swingarm go on over the drive shaft was the exhaust system was off. When I drilled the weep hole I didn't remove the exhaust and had to take the shaft out to get the swing arm free, The rest went pretty well and it looks like I have no left over parts.

If there is no evedince of leakage on the housing I would leave it alone. Mine had a bit of sling residue.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Not so sure you have much of a tranny problem Shoswell. Pretty sure the broken teeth are safely filed in the LT tranny recycle bin. As for the gear with no freakin' teeth? Pretty sure it would just "clean itself up" over time! :wow:

Think of the trouble free miles ahead of you and keep smilin'.

·
Premium Member
3,138 Posts
Man that makes your testicles just shrivel all up and stuff. Man, FUGLY for sure.

Sorry for you man but you are all but there. Have to say you have a nice shop and layout from your pictures.

Nice job for sure. I know I will get me a "I Ain't Scared" sticker for the bike if I go in that deep.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well the dreaded "waiting for parts" time has hit, Broke her completely down by COB Saturday, spent Sunday cleaning the garage up and tinkering. Replaced the dash lights with red LEDs, refitted new plastic for the top shelf, dash surround and stingray. Had to paint a few pieces to match. OEM paint from color right is $$$$. Even polished the color off of the remus, its a nice bright stainless look now! Should have the gearbox tomorrow if UPS's site is correct, a quick trip to the stealer for new seals and a check of the alignment of the gearbox is due. Hopefully the clutch housing plate will arrive ASAP and it will be a full on blitz to get her done by COB Friday...

Here are a few pic's for your viewing enjoyment! :D

Attachments

Reactions: Voyager

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Hoss, looks like I WILL get to buy you a few well earned beers in Ft. Bragg!

Who said Marines only know how to break things? :D

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update...
Ups and USPS did not let me down, received the much needed gearbox and the clutch housing today. I had decided that since the GB was out, I'd have A&S replace the seals for me, as I have enough to do. Will post pictures of the reassembly of "Barbara" later tomorrow. :D

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,251 Posts
Sounds like it is going well Hoss. I am at a stand still since Chicago sent he throttle cables and managed to give me one that was the wrong part:( . Glad I had it over nighted so I found out in time to get it rectified.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sad to here about yet another stealer screw up. Had another one just today... You'd think that with a manufacturer like BMW, the service would live up to their name.. :mad: .But I digress. Got the Gearbox back today, and popped her in. With no power to the house (first winter storm in California) I wanted to romanticize it so it was done by candle light, to set the mood you know. :p Everything went well, only got the clutch and the GB in. Stopped when the skies opened up again.
Note: I could not find the "marks" for the clutch parts. Looked closely, found a mark on the housing plate, but not the other. How big a deal is that? I'm guessing that if it is a deal, I'll be breaking her open again... :confused:

Here are a few pic's. Note the makeshift centering tool!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,138 Posts
You are almost there man. Finish putting the tail back on and you get to ride.

I don't even know what to say on the alignment tool. Well except like how did you arrive at that?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts