BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations for the protective cover for the stock headlight? Are there more than one kind? Are they removable once on?

Thanks!

·
Registered
567 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
3M Clear Film

A search should find information on this. I put it on years ago and it is still transparent. About 1/16 thick and "guaranteed" to protect your headlight. Seem to remember it costing less than $20.00 and you don't have to take it off to clean. Set up and forget.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
You can also get them at Aerostich.

Zeke

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
You can have.

I have one in the garage you can have. Pay for shipping and it's yours. Used for my Alaska trip, needs new velcro strip. PM me your address and I will stick it in the mail or whoever wants it.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WOW, $46 for the Cee Bailey.

Any link for the proper 3M kit and/or where you may have bought that?

Great evening in NE PA, temps in the mid 50's at 6pm. Got to ride 125 miles on this outstanding Jan afternoon! Never thought I would see the ice melt from the driveway till spring. A little worrisome driving the higher elevations with large snow piles on the sides of the road, most of the roads are wet with some locations not getting much if any sunlight, being quite cold.

I've been using my high beam for most driving today, only had one driver give me the lights. Seemed to be aimed a bit too much to the right.

So, that is going to be my primary use light. Just realized the bike we traded had the cover, had no idea it cost so much.

Thanks!

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
yechave said:
WOW, $46 for the Cee Bailey.

Any link for the proper 3M kit and/or where you may have bought that?

Great evening in NE PA, temps in the mid 50's at 6pm. Got to ride 125 miles on this outstanding Jan afternoon! Never thought I would see the ice melt from the driveway till spring. A little worrisome driving the higher elevations with large snow piles on the sides of the road, most of the roads are wet with some locations not getting much if any sunlight, being quite cold.

I've been using my high beam for most driving today, only had one driver give me the lights. Seemed to be aimed a bit too much to the right.

So, that is going to be my primary use light. Just realized the bike we traded had the cover, had no idea it cost so much.

Thanks!

I've had this one on both my LT's. Works great - https://www.xpel.com/products/headlight_protection.asp?prevtype=3&prevyear=2003&prevmake=89&prevmodel=0&prevsubmodel=0&prevseries=0&type=3&year=2003&make=89&model=723

BTW - you might want to add a sig line or update your profile so people know what year bike you have when you're asking these questions...

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Aeroflow Headlight Cover

Another option is Aeroflow. The price is just a little more than the Cee Bailey's, so I guess whichever turns you on. I have had my Aeroflow protector on the Bike since I bought her in 2000 with no problems whatsoever! Easy to take off and put back on with the velcro stickys so you can clean off between the glass and the plastic.

http://www.aeroflowscreens.com/HeadLight_Covers.htm

John

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
I prefer the 3m/xpel because once it's on you can't really see it. No need to clean the cover AND the headlight. Can lose it either:)

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
AlaskaFish said:
Another option is Aeroflow. The price is just a little more than the Cee Bailey's, so I guess whichever turns you on. I have had my Aeroflow protector on the Bike since I bought her in 2000 with no problems whatsoever! Easy to take off and put back on with the velcro stickys so you can clean off between the glass and the plastic.

http://www.aeroflowscreens.com/HeadLight_Covers.htm

John
+1 for the Aeroflow.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Ted Shred said:
I prefer the 3m/xpel because once it's on you can't really see it. No need to clean the cover AND the headlight. Can lose it either:)
SOLD! One question tho... with HID, isn't heat a factor with a gel type cover?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
OK - doesn't this beg the question, though?

How many have had a head light assembly damaged by *not* having a cover installed?

Really - I've not yet heard of it happening, though with as many other gripes as fly 'round here - surely there was one or two I missed. Anyone wanna fess up?

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Zotter said:
OK - doesn't this beg the question, though?

How many have had a head light assembly damaged by *not* having a cover installed?

Really - I've not yet heard of it happening, though with as many other gripes as fly 'round here - surely there was one or two I missed. Anyone wanna fess up?
Last year coming back from Big Bend I had a rock break my headlight. The hole was about the size of a golf ball :eek: At around $400.00 a pop for headlights i'll choose a cover for less then $50.00 every time

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
I have the Cee Bailey headlight guards on both high and low beam bulbs. Bought them the same time as my windshield because they make the price more attractive, as a package deal.

I wouldn't do it again. The CB is big, thick and tough -- no doubt it would do the job, but looks bad (personal opinion, YMMV) and it's a PITA to clean. Next time I'll go with the film. Possibly less protection but they still work... don't they?

·
Registered
326 Posts
XPEL Film Protection

Hey Fellow Riders: I'm one of the (small time) dealers for Xpel and I can save you some money if interested. It is a great product and I use it on all of my cars and bike(s).

Send a PM if interested.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts