BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the first oil change on '03 LT yesterday. Thanks to Mikes clear directions, it was a snap.

However after I had added the fresh oil, I noticed a small flat washer on the ground under the bike, obviously from one of the bolts that holds the filter cover on. No sign of leaking when I ran the engine for about ten minutes or so.

So my questions. Can I take out one of those three bolts and put the washer back on with a reasonable expectation of not draining the new oil out.

Or can I just leave the washer off until the next oil change. (Checking the torque on bolt from time to time.)

I know, third option is to drain the oil and put the washer back on, but I'd like to avoid that if I can.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
542 Posts
There should be no problem removing just one bolt then replacing it as long as the others stay tightened at the proper torque setting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,905 Posts
I recommend you take out the bolt that got screwed outta the washer and reinstall it with the washer. But before you torque it down, back the other two bolts out just a little bit, then re-torque all of them down. You may loose a leetle bit of oil, but that's easily remedied.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
messenger13 said:
I recommend you take out the bolt that got screwed outta the washer and reinstall it with the washer. But before you torque it down, back the other two bolts out just a little bit, then re-torque all of them down. You may loose a leetle bit of oil, but that's easily remedied.
Thanks. That was my first plan, but I wasn't sure if a leak started, that just retorquing would stop it. I'll take care if it tomorrow. Hadn't planned to ride for a couple/three days anyway.

Thanks all.
 

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
Joined
·
2,594 Posts
It should not be a problem with just taking out the one bolt. When I change my oil I usually take out two bolts first, then loosen the last bolt to help to keep the oil off of the hands.

With those that use to change their oil in their cages transmission pan, this was the way to do it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,180 Posts
CajunBass said:
I did the first oil change on '03 LT yesterday. Thanks to Mikes clear directions, it was a snap.

However after I had added the fresh oil, I noticed a small flat washer on the ground under the bike, obviously from one of the bolts that holds the filter cover on. No sign of leaking when I ran the engine for about ten minutes or so.

So my questions. Can I take out one of those three bolts and put the washer back on with a reasonable expectation of not draining the new oil out.

Or can I just leave the washer off until the next oil change. (Checking the torque on bolt from time to time.)

I know, third option is to drain the oil and put the washer back on, but I'd like to avoid that if I can.
The bolts are a BLIND tapped hole meaning they don't go into the crankcase. As Joe suggested, install washer under the naked bolt, snug and just loosten the other two so you can retorque properly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
749 Posts
Please be careful torquing down those three little bolts that hold the oil filter cover in place. They tend to wring off under too much torque. You can get stronger bolts from Dave Shealey (dshealey on the board).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
704 Posts
How important are these washers? My '03 has never had them. Unless they were removed by my dealer (good dealer. very reliable and competent.) during the first oil change, they were never there to my knowledge. I've done many oil changes myself since then and not had a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
no washers

mines never had any washers on it to start with.....

hmmmmmm......

i dont think the lack of washers has slowed her down any or caused any issues :)

at the relatively low torque im not seeing it as any real issue...

no telling how much more speed im getting with all that reduced weight :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,165 Posts
kip said:
mines never had any washers on it to start with.....

hmmmmmm......

i dont think the lack of washers has slowed her down any or caused any issues :)

at the relatively low torque im not seeing it as any real issue...

no telling how much more speed im getting with all that reduced weight :)
The stock screws have permanently attached washers on them, at least all that I saw. The higher grade ones I sell are not available with washers attached, so I had to find the right size ones to furnish loose, and include one extra with every set in case you loose one. Standard 6MM washers are 12MM OD and will not sit down in the recess in the filter cover. I furnish 11MM ones.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,795 Posts
My '05 has seperate "washers". The "purpose" of the washers as I understand it, is to spread the load across a larger surface area and help keep the bolts snug by isolating vibration. Screws with broad heads are that way for similar reasons.

I think it's a "good" thing to have the washers since the oil filter cover is aluminum.

Just my $1.00/50
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Daman858 said:
Please be careful torquing down those three little bolts that hold the oil filter cover in place. They tend to wring off under too much torque. You can get stronger bolts from Dave Shealey (dshealey on the board).
I've finally found a use for that Proto "inch/pound" torque wrench I've had all these years and never used.

I hope I never get to use the big 1/2 inch drive one.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top