BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, if I were willing to wait as long as needed, would it be possible to get a color of my choice 2013 without electronic suspension, no radio, but with cruise, heated grips, top box and maybe a few other things? I also want to use my own tank bag set-up. How does this process work? I actually asked my salesman but he was new and didn't know.

Also, does anyone know where I can find a list or features and info on the instrument cluster?

Thanks!

·
Registered
204 Posts
The Canadian Owner's manual is available online here: http://www.bmw-motorrad.ca/pdfs/riders/R1200RT.pdf

It has detailed info on the instrumentation etc. The only noticeable difference to the US is the metric instrumentation.

Last year I factory ordered an RT to get it specced out very much as you describe. The order was placed in late June, built in mid-July and delivered in late August.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Special ordering is probably the only way to get what you want on the bike. When I was looking for a 12, every bike on BMW's dealer computer had every accessory that the factory could install. Mine came with every thing except for a top box and the traction control, which the RT doesn't really need. Get the bike you want and enjoy it.

BTW, the ESA ll was worth it, but the audio system is a great waste of money. Not sure what's with the chrome muffler, either, but mine came with that, too...tomp dd50

·
Registered
128 Posts
RyanW said:
Hey guys, if I were willing to wait as long as needed, would it be possible to get a color of my choice 2013 without electronic suspension, no radio, but with cruise, heated grips, top box and maybe a few other things? I also want to use my own tank bag set-up. How does this process work? I actually asked my salesman but he was new and didn't know.

Also, does anyone know where I can find a list or features and info on the instrument cluster?

Thanks!
The really short answer is yes.

A slightly longer answer is it depends on how bad you want an RT.

If you decide to wait you can see what the 2013 colors will be (probably what they are right now) and then as dealers get bikes they'll come configured in a few different ways. As I understand it each dealership gets an allocation and the dealership decides what features to put on bikes. So you can wait, cross your fingers for a bike configured the way you want it.

The other way to proceed is to talk to one of the more experienced sales people and ask them. In late August/early Sept the dealers should start getting allocations and they'll be able to tell you if/when an RT is coming and what color it is. Once they know this you can ask them to reserve that allocation. Where I'm at the dealership wants $1000 to reserve a bike. Once that happens the dealer can go into the computer system and configure the bike the way you want it. The dealer I work with has no problem doing this as long as the configuration isn't so odd that they couldn't sell the bike to someone else if you have to change your mind and not purchase that bike. I put a deposit down on a bike, it was the easiest way to get the bike I wanted.

The dealerships should have specification sheets for the 2013 RT at some point in the near future that will list out all available options and their prices, they shouldn't have a problem giving you a copy.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My plan is to order one in late November. I'd like to walk in out of the blue on a snowy day and get the best deal I can. I don't care if it takes until Spring, but will I end up paying a whole bunch more doing it this way? I mean, non of the options are dealbreakers except the radio, but I'd like to have the exact bike I want for what these things cost.

·
Registered
128 Posts
RyanW said:
My plan is to order one in late November. I'd like to walk in out of the blue on a snowy day and get the best deal I can. I don't care if it takes until Spring, but will I end up paying a whole bunch more doing it this way? I mean, non of the options are dealbreakers except the radio, but I'd like to have the exact bike I want for what these things cost.
Some of that depends on your dealer. The dealer I work with doesn't make deals typically. The salesman I worked with essentially said they have no motivation to cut a deal on a bike at the start of the model year. At the start of the model year there's plenty of time to sell that bike. If you order a bike that early in the model year you're saying you want that bike really, really badly which takes away almost all of your bargaining power. I think you'll end up paying MSRP if you order one in Nov. You have a better chance of looking for a 2012 bike that is mostly configured the way you want and attempt to make a deal on it. Or wait until late into the 2013 model year and attempt to make a deal then.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a bummer but, BMW dealers don't blow out their bikes like the Japanese ones anyway right?

Unless you find a really, really good deal the most you'd save on a 2011 would be like $1000 correct? That's what I've gathered anyway...

·
Registered
232 Posts
I don't understand the fascination with getting a deal. Determine what you want to pay and then try to buy it at that price. Face it, it is a 22k dollar bike no matter how you cut it. Isn't really going to make a difference if you get it for a thousand or 1100 less it still is a lot of money. I could understand wanting a deal if you could negotiate like a car and get several thousand knocked off. But be realistic no one is going to give you 3000 off an RT.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Don't expect a discount, the dealers are working with a low volume product compared to some other brands. I did get a tank bag thrown into the deal (which I highly recommend over aftermarket bags).

The earlier in the model year you make your decision, the better.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can accept that, I just listed out what the standard package will cost plus d&h and I cna live with that.

Say I want the standard package + cruise and tire pressure monitors. Do I just add the price of those extas to the standard package of $18,2XX?

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
You don't say where you live, but some dealers do a fly and buy. When I bought mine, I was very close to doing this, which really was a megabus trip and buy, but I went local instead. I had found a 2009 new model in late 2010, ESA, clear lenses, cruise, heated grips and seats, computer, locally. The list was 19450 and I got 2200 off and I said it would be a deal if they threw in the 49L topcase. Mike Abt at then Chicago would have gotten me a similar 2011 for around 19K plus extra for the topcase. Mike works at Countryside BMW in IL now and he's really easy to deal with.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I live in Colorado but I really like my dealer about an hour from here. I'll try to go through him if I can.

Do I need the onboard computer for cruise or tire pressure sensors? Or to have all that neat info on the instrument cluster?

·
Registered
717 Posts
I don't understand why you say you like your dealer but you said your salesman had no answers for your questions? Go back there and ask the sales manager those questions again if you want to give them your business. See what he says.

I'd also contact another dealer even if it's far from you. You can always do a fly and ride or they can also ship you the bike. Some large dealers have a lot of inventory and late in the year, say October, they will deal. I'd advise you to call a few dealers and see if they have anything close to the way you want it configured. Be aware that most inventory is loaded or near so.

Also, the topcase you want lists for like $1200 at the dealer's, and the $360 tankbag is a new BMW unique mounting system. I did not buy the tankbag at the dealer's. I bought a like new one off the BMW classifieds for $250. If you use your own, it must be the kind that attaches with straps since there's no metal for a magnetic bag to stay put. And I didn't want to scratch the bike using one with mounting straps.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My bad, the dealer 15 minutes from my house sucks.

The dealer that I would buy it from is 45 mins away. That's the one I trust and feel completely calm when shopping for bikes, no pressure whatsoever.

·
Registered
285 Posts
RyanW,
IMHO the computer option is worth it (full disclosure - I used to be a technology professional).

As far as tank bags go... I'm using the Touratech Flat. I did not want a huge tank bag. The bags that connect to a ring on the gas flange look nice also but I've never had one on any of my bikes.

tsp
My Blog

·
Registered
73 Posts
Each time u put gas in the tank you will have to remove the tank bag. That's the big advantage of the BMW tank bag, it just clips and snaps in place in 2 or 3 seconds. Make sure you look at the BMW tank bag before u make up your mind to go aftermarket, but I'm not sure exactly how the aftermarket ones work either.

Same with the $924 top case which can be keyed with your ignition key ... just snap and click it on or off, no drilling, no mess. Nice.

Yes, more $$ for both compared to aftermarket, but worth it IMHO.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
tsperez said:
RyanW,
IMHO the computer option is worth it (full disclosure - I used to be a technology professional).

As far as tank bags go... I'm using the Touratech Flat. I did not want a huge tank bag. The bags that connect to a ring on the gas flange look nice also but I've never had one on any of my bikes.

tsp
My Blog
What options can only be had with onboard computer?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.