BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Senior Member (ret.)
10,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aaaaargh!!

They busted my driver window on the pick up around 3 am and grabbed the Garmin 2610 from under the seat. The alarm went off too and there is an indicator that the truck has an alarm.

I don't leave the GPS on the dash when parked. Either I was followed after someone saw it while I was driving or they saw that something was plugged to the 12v outlet and the cable led to under the driver seat.

They left everything else intact.

Now I have to deal with broken glass and replacement. Won't bother the insurance company since my deductible is $500.

That's three times this year someone has messed with my truck.

1) stole the hood's air dam with the Dodge Ram logo.

2) stole diesel from the auxiliary gas tank (can't find a locking gas cap for it)

3) busted window and stolen GPS.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Raffy: Sounds like security lights might be in order. I bet each event was perpetrated by someone who lives within one mile of your house.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Sounds like it's time to start useing one of those M1 Gerands.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Since the vehicle was parked your deductible may be waived, here in Michigan if it was hit while parked it's waived, I'm not sure about vandelilsm and theft though, I guess it depends on your policy. Since you pay for insurance it's worth a call to your adjuster to inquire.

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
That sucks, Raffy. Sorry to hear about that.

Perhaps you could check with some of your distributor/manufacturer contacts and pick up one of those vehicle theft-deterrent systems (self-destruction device) like James Bond had on his Lotus Esprit -- bad guy breaks into the car and the whole vehicle explodes into a zillion pieces, taking the bad guy with it. :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
That really sucks! There aren't many things lower than a thief, and I agree with other comments that it's probably someone who lives nearby and sees it there regularly. I also think a call to your insurance is worth it, considering it was parked and this was a break-in, not an accident. If they do anything it's better than eating all the cost out of your pocket.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
As everyone has said, that Sucks!

You probably already have someone in mind to replace the glass but if not these guys are very professional and had a really good price for the windshield on the wifes car.

Hope you and the family had a great Christmas anyway.

·
Registered
465 Posts
A friend of mine wired a model T coil to pressure sensitive switches on the driver & passenger seats of his '58 Corvette. I'm not sure how he disguised the contact points on the seats, but he did try it out on an unsuspecting "victim" and it worked exceptionally well!

Food for thought, yes?

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Usually kids

The kids escape from their parents house and roam the streets at night..

Did you hear the alarm go off ?

I'd be willing to bet that when you talk to the police they'd have a pretty good idea who it was although they probably won't do anything about it...

And you just can't sit up all night waiting for it to happen again...

Put some lights on the truck at night and point a video cam on it...

Use an old camcorder or something like that.

Hook it up to an old computer.

I have a program called "Thief" That will look at the video and capture frames when the picture changes...

It worked well at my house when I was having problems with my ex's son..
It's only a few K so I'll zip it up and email it to you...

If you need any parts for this let me know . I probably have some laying around the house...

Good luck..

John

·
Some guy on the Interwebs
3,324 Posts
RaffyK said:
Aaaaargh!!

They busted my driver window on the pick up around 3 am and grabbed the Garmin 2610 from under the seat. The alarm went off too and there is an indicator that the truck has an alarm.

I don't leave the GPS on the dash when parked. Either I was followed after someone saw it while I was driving or they saw that something was plugged to the 12v outlet and the cable led to under the driver seat.

They left everything else intact.

Now I have to deal with broken glass and replacement. Won't bother the insurance company since my deductible is $500.

That's three times this year someone has messed with my truck.

1) stole the hood's air dam with the Dodge Ram logo.

2) stole diesel from the auxiliary gas tank (can't find a locking gas cap for it)

3) busted window and stolen GPS.
You want the Posse to form up and ride? :mad:

·
Senior Member (ret.)
10,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cleared everything out of the center console right away. then waited till daylight. went out and cleared all the glass out of the interior and window channel (at least the ones I could get to).

GPS is under homeowner's policy since it is not OEM. I have a $500 deductible there too. Not worth it to call them up also (same company as the car insurance).

Safelite is the one Patty used last month for the windshield crack. That's where I have to take it. Will be calling them in a few minutes.

Raffy

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Raffy,

Let me know if you need to leave the truck and need a ride - I'm off today.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Most likely somebody saw it and decided to "come back for it"
so as others have already pointed out they don't live far away.

I live in modest house in the older part of St. Pete, nice neighborhood, red brick streets etc.
There's no crime here unless it "comes" from somewhere else.
I see "them" (the boys from the "hood") occasionally walking or riding their bicycles
down the middle of the street looking into the windows of all the parked vehicles,
or in the middle of the night driving real slow.
It's obvious what's going on, but if I were to confront them or even just say something,
I'm considered a racist and all of the "laws" are against me.

It's been several years since all of my tools were stolen out of my truck box,
they just pulled up next to it at 4 am pried it open and loaded them up,
in the 30 seconds it took me to get outside they were rounding the corner,
hindsight tells me it's just as well as I probably would have shot them,
and it's a hellova lot easier to buy $500 worth of tools
than deal with the repercussions of something like that,
but you know, I'm still "looking" for that car.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
LodiHal said:
"Cause justice is the one thing
You should always find
You gotta saddle up your boys
You gotta draw a hard line
When the gunsmoke settles
We'll sing a victory tune
And we'll all meet back
At the local saloon"

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
LodiHal said:
That idea sounds intriguing! It might go something like this:

The Posse on their GSs waits nearby, at both ends of the block. If this happens again, the little varmints will have the fear of God put into them when a bunch of men on bad-a$$ bikes block their departure. Raffy is then called. He steps out from his front door with fog rolling out behind him; Halloween-type recorded screams can be heard coming from inside the house. Then, the kids recognize the "Jason" mask. The last thing they hear before they pass out from fear is the sound of a chain saw...

At least we can dream!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hey Raffy,

Ever think about just getting rid of that truck?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Punks

Sorry to hear ya got ripped off Raffy. They got me too. I need a new side window on my truck. They got my wife's purse and keys to everything. I'm sure they saw her leave the truck without a purse. So I'm changing locks and canceling everything under the sun. I'm thinking of getting a new pistol just in case they wanna come over.

Mark C.
'01 R1100RT :bmw:
Lodi, CA

1 - 20 of 23 Posts